Mountain Life in Colorado: Happy Father's Day

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day








Jack had an awesome Father's Day. We did too. He took off after his morning cup of coffee and went surfing. The sky was blue and it was gorgious out. I got no sleep last night, again. I haven't gotten a real good nights sleep yet. More on that later. I slept in until 7 or so and the girls were already up when I got out of bed. The are pretty good about getting themselves breakfast and doing whatever it is they need to do. We didn't have internet service at either place all day so I couldn't blog. All three of us layed in hammocks and the girls did some math lessons while I read some spanish stuff and we were super content. The ocelot was playing with Bob, the cat we named, and it was so nice and peaceful. Jack came back and cooked some breakfast and we all got our suits on and went to the beach. Jack carries the surfboard with the boogie board bungied to the basket. The picture is of him carring the load to the beach. It's a sketchy ride. He hasn't crashed yet with the get up. We got to the beach and Jack and the girls were in the water the entire time. I was so tired from not sleeping that I fell asleep on my towel and never moved. Boy, am I paying for that now with the sunburn. Damn. We were all getting hungry and it was around 1pm and I suggested we go drop off the boards and treat Dad to a nice lunch at the Mauna Loa and go swim in the pool. Remember, I blogged about that place and we met Liz who works there. I thought she was the owner but isn't. They live in a house behind the Mauna Loa. We ride down to the Mauna Loa and Liz is on her computer and I re-introduce ourselves and she remembers us and we chat a bit and we say we came for some food and drinks. The kitchen opens at 2 and it's 1:45 so she tells us to go enjoy the pool while she brings us some drinks. We do and it's absolutely lovely. Just perfect. She asks us to pay for our drinks because she is leaving for the day and needs to close her stuff out and I do. I tell her she speaks wonderful English and ask her how she learned. She tells me she lives in Colorado. I ask her where, she tells me Golden. I tell her I'm from Keystone and she and I are now talking about people we know. Her husband worked at the Kikapoo forever and we know the same people. We are so thrilled about this and cannot wait until our husbands meet. Jack is sitting at the pool with Jordan and Hannah so he's missing this whole conversation. I pay for the beers and go tell Jack about my new BFF (best friend forever, for those that don't know what BFF is). I'm telling Jack about this and he stands up, bolts up, to be exact, and needs to talk to her. So, let me back up now for a minute. As we are leaving Montezuma the day we flew out, Greg, our renter, is trying to get us to contact his best friends friend, who live in CR and needs someone to take care of their house. Jack tells Greg he didn't have time to follow up and it's now to late because we are driving out of our driveway but these people live in Playa Avellana and we could care for their house for a month while they are back in the U.S. Jack figures we'll cross paths sometime while were are down here and we'll be able to meet them. Well, he walks up to Liz and asks her if she is friends with Todd W. and she says yes and he say's we are the family who was going to take care of your house and we never got in touch with you. We're all just standing there with our mouths open and now her husband drives up and we introduce ourselves and she is hugging me, as I'm sweating like a pig, and it was just PURA VIDA. They are the nicest people and they still need their house looked after for a month. Jack and Burt, Liz's husband, realize that they have been out in the water together. Burt say's to Jack, "Have I been nice or not so nice?" Jack is laughing about this because some surfers aren't so nice especially if you don't surf there often and it's a local spot. Jack and Burt are surfing together early manana and Liz, the girls and I are having a beach day together to get to know one another. It was all so strange. Liz say's, "This is God!", meaning this is an act of God and I knew what she was saying. It was so funny and crazy how we met. Liz left for the day with Burt and we said "hasta manana" and tomorrow we'll talk about staying in their home next month. Their home is closer to the beach, they have a pool and it's 3 bedrooms and modern. We'll have to see what the future holds. Jack, the girls and I stayed for dinner which Jack and I had casados with tuna, the best casado I have had yet, and the girls had a pepperoni pizza. It was perfect. The girls also met the two boys who live down in the shop on this property. On this property there is the main house where the owners live, 3 rental casitas, one housekeepers casita, another casita they are building and a shop with a house attached to it. In the house attached to the shop live a couple from Isreal and their boys ages 12 and 13. The girls met those boys today and at least talked. They go to school so they aren't around except for on the weekends. Jordan was jumping for joy to meet someone new. Hopefully they will all strike up a friendship. Jordan and one of the boys rode bikes tonight until it started to rain. I went down and introduced myself to their Mom and Dad also. Today was perfecto. It's raining and the bugs are biting. Internet is back, obviously, and did I mention that it's 5:35. Jack went to bed an hour ago. ZZZZZZZ
Hasta Luego! Pura Vida!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy fathers Day Jack!
I hope it works out for you guys with that house! Pure Vida for sure then!
Deb, Rob and Tori

Anonymous said...

We just got home a week ago and Liz was telling me about your blog- OMG what an adventure- I was asking her if there was anyway we could send you food and salt. She said that she didn't think so.
Love seeing all the pictures and reading about your life. I hope the house sitting works out- that sounds very nice and to be laying in a pool all day if it is that hot there.
take care- we are thinking about you.
Susan Lytle

Unknown said...

Happy fathers Day Jack. What a great day for all. I'm keeping you all in my prayers daily. And, yes..."It's a God thing". You all deserve many blessings and good karma while on adventure. God Bless,

Ilene

jan said...

Wow Hef, can NOT believe that you run into this woman at random. I would call that a Graced Moment...same as a God thing :) Too unbelievable. You will treasure that house since you experienced the current place you are in. HOw cool!!!!!
The hotel area looks unbelievable. How does one end up living in Costa Rica?? I bet she can give you some recipe tips too. LOL
Oh, the picture of Jack w/the boards and he is shirtless AND he has flip flops on???? holy crap

hefr said...

Thanks for the Father's Day wishes Ilene and Deb.
Susan, this is an incredible adventure indeed. As I'm sure you has a great adventure also. Can't wait to hear about it.
Jan, Thanks for the email. I love you and the recipes are awesome. We are making another trek to Santa Cruz on the bus tomorrow so I will pick up some more supplies.