Mountain Life in Colorado: Monkey's Up Close and Personal

Monday, June 21, 2010

Monkey's Up Close and Personal

Well, Jordan was the first to be stung by a scorpion. It wasn't bad but it hurt like H. E. double hockey sticks. Poor thing. We've let our guard down and sure enough we are getting taken advantage of now. She was hanging out this morning and it literally just crawled on her from the chair and bam! She was bit. I put a little lavendar oil on it to help the swelling. It worked. We rode down to Liz and Bart's house this morning. It rained all night last night and into the morning so we all slept until around 7am. Jack rode down and found their house early this morning to go surfing with Bart. They didn't hook up but when he came back he took us back down there. The road was super muddy from all of the rain and there were puddles everywhere. Stay out of the puddles. You never know if a snake or a huge toad or what is creeping around in there. I decided to take a far right line to avoid the puddle. My bike tire slid right out from under me and I fell over right onto the chainlink fence. My whole left side has cuts from the fence and of course my first instinct was to grab the fence with my hand and break my fall. Well, grabbing a chainlink fence isn't something you should do. We showed up at Bart and Liz's house and I was cut, bloody, and when I fell off my bike my foot landed in mud up to my ankle. I was a mess. I rinsed off under the faucet they had in the front yard. Nothing that the saltwater won't fix in a day or two. Of course, I show up looking like a trainwreck and it was typical Hef. We all got a good laugh out of me. Their house is beautiful with a beautiful yard. They have a pool in the back and a nice BBQ area under shade. We have decided to house sit for them and take care their dog. We move in July 19th and will stay until we fly out of here. It couldn't have worked our more perfect. They come back the same day we fly out. Bart and Liz couldn't be any nicer and I think we will become good friends. We're going over there on Jueves for dinner. I can't wait to get pictures of the house. It's beautiful! The clouds hung out all day here and we only swam in the ocean for a little bit. Most of our afternoon was spent hanging in the casita, reading, and computer. The young bucks were around also and they are always giving us a good laugh. AHHH, to be 18 again. NOT! The monkeys were hanging out in the trees above our casita all day. There are 3 mom's w/ babies on their backs and it seems just the one male. They are a tight knit family and don't stray to far from one another. Where the male goes, the females, w/ the babies in tow, follow. They talk together all day and just mutter things back and forth. They are so interesting to watch. If you can get close enough to them, like we did today, they'll look you right in the eye. They don't seem scared or vicious or anything but they just watch. I could sit all day and watch the monkeys. The cats try to get onto the roof of the casita and get the monkeys. Not on your life could those cats hold a candle to the monkeys. Maybe the ocelot one day but not today. We are hanging out right now, Jack working on the bikes, kids swinging in the hammocks and I am blogging. It's 3:30 and it seems like it about 6:30. I hate to take a nap because then I'll be awake all night. Not that I won't be anyway but naps here screw me up even more with my sleep. It looks like it'll rain any minute. I'm showered and clean and sand free and it's time to refresh my bacardi/papaya/pineapple slushy. I'm throughly enjoying my afternoon. Thanks for letting me share it with you.

5 comments:

jan said...

wow that is amazing footage of the monkeys. now,you have to give them names!
Excited for the new casa? You can cook then!!!

Unknown said...

Ahhhh Hef, you found a great place--your great karma paid off, or perhaps your mom wanted you to have a bit more comfort--anyway, can't wait to see the pictures. A pool will be fab-u-losa :-)

ttfn,
mary

Anonymous said...

Awesome video Hef! Love those monkeys! Keep up the blogging, and I'm glad you got the house with the pool! Sounds like heaven!
Deb

Unknown said...

If finding your new friends wasnt meant to be, then I dont know what is!
The monkey footage is soo cool! Still no snakes?

After Jacks done working on the bikes, maybe he should build one of those rick-shaw thingys that hook onto the back of the bike, so you can carry your stuff that way.(like a little trailer)

Liz said...

i love the updates keep em comin' Ok but really a scorpion? That may just draw the line for me. I think those monkeys are like squirrels or pigeons for those of us from New York area......but really cool! Liz Dux