Mountain Life in Colorado: Time for a Change

Friday, April 20, 2012

Time for a Change

Well, after bitching for pretty much the past few posts, and not posting much other than depressing stuff,  it's time for a change.  I'm spring cleaning myself. 
We still have snow on the ground but I can get in my car and drive 6 miles down the mountain where there is no more snow and the ground is dry.  I am taking advantage of that.  The other day I was running down by the lake and I was looking around at the mountains and the lake and I still get goosebumps with our view.  It's absolutely amazing. 
I am moving in the right directions with treatments for J and I have enlisted help from a new therapist who seems to know how to deal with adolescents.  It's his specialty.  I've realized that there is no support out there for parents dealing with this and trying to talk to friends and family is just frustrating.  Unless you are living with the difficult behavior you just really don't know what it's like. 
I've been seriously thinking of starting a support group of some sort because I know other parents are dealing with equally difficult situations.  I see it in the faces of the parents sitting across us in the waiting rooms.  Everyone tries to be all nonchalant but the pain is there. 
I feel positive and motivated and I am thankful for a break from work to focus on myself and do a little self maintenance. 
It's time. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a blog specifically for this situation? I think that you would be good at that- you are such a good writer! Blog and support group- but support through blog too!

Lynne said...

I took your advice and googled Bipolar Rage..Wow, without sounding trite, it sounds incredibly frustrating and hard. Especially when it's your own child. You want to protect them and love them but how do you do that when they are feeling angry and out of control? I have a family member that is bipolar but we have never seen the rage. Just the extreme highs and lows, you feel like you have stepped into a tornado sometimes and then thrown out just as quickly!

I think a support group would be awesome, you know there are others out there that probably don't talk about it or would love too if they could talk to someone who is going through the same things..I'm glad that you have some new help, I hope that it is positive for all of you.