Mountain Life in Colorado: Ski Day

Monday, February 15, 2010

Ski Day

Jordan, Jack and I skiid today at the Basin.  Jordan slept until 9:30.  She must have needed it.  I hate to wake her up when I don't have to so I didn't.  I just love the part of homeschooling where I get to dictate what time we start, if we even start.  Today we played hooky. 
We haven't done that in awhile and usually if we play hooky we have to go to Denver for car stuff or something not fun.  Today we went skiing.  Just the 3 of us and Jordan was soaking it all up.  She had us all to herself and was loving every minute of it.  I love skiing with her and hearing her singing away behind me.  Today it was a song from the Glee soundtrack.  She was skiing through the trees  in No Name and I was in front of her and I'd hear her belting out her song for the moment.  She was in pure bliss.  No school, no Hannah, no worries. Our first run today we went to the Nose and it was fresh, soft powder.  Jordan was doing her usual slipping sideways on her skiis, turn, slip more and not making any turns.  I get so frustrated watching her slip everything when I know she is capable of actually skiing it and skiing it well.  I made a deal with her.  I told her if she didn't slip the mountain once and turned and skiid for the rest of the day I would buy her anything she wanted for lunch.  I could see Pizza on her mind.  Well of course she was in negotiation mode and I wouldn't have any of that.  The rules were plainly laid out on the run and there was no cheating.  Make your turns or no lunch.   She was amazing.  We got into some pretty steep stuff where I said "Jordan, it's ok to slip this because it's rocky."  She thought I was tricking her, as she said, and would plow through the rocks like there were none.  I haven't seen her so agressive on skiis ever.  Talk about proud.  She got her pizza and some fries and I was happy.  So was she.  It was a wonderful, Colorado ski day.  That is why we live here.

No comments: