Mountain Life in Colorado: First Ski of the Season

Monday, November 15, 2010

First Ski of the Season

We received around 7-10" of snow overnight and when I heard Jack grumbling about shoveling again I knew I needed to get out of bed and see for myself wether he was being a drama king or not.  He was being a drama king, because he always is, but he also was right to yell up to me and tell me to get out of bed because I needed to go skiing.  Someone should.  Might as well be me since I still have 10 days off before I go balls to the wall with work. 
I made the girls their lunches and said goodbuy to everyone and made a cup of coffee and sat down on the couch and covered up with a blanket.  As I watched it snow and snow outside I decided that Jack was right (I hate it when he's right).  I needed to go skiing.  It was a painless process, for some reason, gathering my gear.  Usually, I am walking to the shed, digging through bins and bins looking for my pants, jacket, neck gator, hat, etc.  Then I rummage around the garage for a good 45 minutes cussing because I can't find my goggles and boots.  Then I walk back up to the house looking for my ski pass which I usually don't have anyway and have to go stand in line to get.  Not this year.  For some reason, I was organized and all of my stuff was exactly where I remembered putting it.  And, we got our ski passes last week so we were set.    I was driving down the driveway, on my way to the mountain, at 9:30 am.  I got to the lift and they scanned my pass and there I was swinging my skis on the lift, bundled up, and enjoying the blowing snow on my face.  It always feels so good to be riding that first chair ride of the season.  Especially when you have the chair to yourself.  I am not into small chit chat and I really just wanted to enjoy the peace of the chair alone. 
It was a powder day and the snow was soft and fluffy and light.  The skiing was great.  I skied hard for the first few runs because I was all by myself and I was thoroughly enjoying it.  I ran into some friends just as I was thinking about leaving and I stayed and skied for another 5 runs.  My legs are going to be sore tomorrow.  I'm glad I have my yoga class. 
I left the mountain at around 12:30 pm and had some errands to run and picked up the kids at school.
It was a successful first day on the mountain.  I'm thinking about doing it all again tomorrow. 

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Wow, how awesome that you can just decide to ski and do it for a couple of hours! A major process, and plan here if we want to ski...It seems like I just don't have that ambition anymore:)