Mountain Life in Colorado: Mucking Barns

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Mucking Barns











Every muscle in my body is hurting. I am on the couch and I'm not sure I can get up. I have a party to go to tonight and I need to move. I'll blog instead.

Hannah and I worked at the Swan Center today. We got out there at around 10am. The other volunteers were getting the feed together so I went out and dealt with the hay. That job is pretty fun because you get to get hay off the bail and walk around with the wheelbarrow and place piles for the horses. 35 piles to be exact. The horses get excited and start walking slowly into the area I'm putting the hay. Sometimes they'll try to eat it right out of the wheelbarrow as I'm pushing it around. I'm not suppose to let them do that so it's funny trying to stop them.

After the hay was placed it was time to get all the horses to their feeding spots. One by one we lead them to their feed bin on the fence. There were a few barns that needed to be mucked so I volunteered to do that since it's a huge workout and I felt like beating myself up a bit. The two barns that I needed to clean out hadn't been fully cleaned out in quite some time so there were a few layers of hard muck I had to dig up. It was hard work. I took a pick ax, shovel, rake and between the three tools I got through. I had to then haul multiple 40 lb bags of pellets to place in the stalls. 11 bags to be exact. All of the muck that I dug up needed to be wheeled over to be dumped. Through the mud, over mud, around mud. After a few hours of that I was extremely whooped.

Those horses are so awesome to be with. Magic likes to have her head over the door so she can see whats going on. She's so curious. Somethin' pees on her fresh bed of pellets. Jett likes to chew on the fence. Snicker, she's naughty. She keeps trying to escape. Amigo breaks my heart every time I look at him. He's sweet and was tied to a tree during hurricane Andrew and survived. His coat is all scruffy and thick. They all have some story and they all have a different personality. It's fun getting to know them. What a great place to volunteer.

But, now I am seizing up and I can't move. Tomorrow will not be pretty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hef,
looks like lots of good ole fashioned hard work. Now you know how fun it is to play with the horses.Mark and I have 7 to take care of and they are lots of fun. I got to ride my horse last thursday when it was 60 degrees. Hopefully, you will get your daughters riding someday.
Marilee

hefr said...

We get to ride this Saturday. Should be fun.