Mountain Life in Colorado: The Bus, again.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Bus, again.

Are you getting tired of hearing about our awesome day's? Stop reading if you are. We had another one today.
It's Amityville horror every morning at 3:15 in our casita. I tried to catch whatever it is that is terrorizing me at that gawd awful hour but I just got laughed at by my husband. Damn him. He keeps on creeping his foot over to my side of our double bed and freaks me out by lightly touching my foot. I'll ask, "was that you?" after I have completely jumped out of my sheets and he slyly says, "yyyeeesssss". This morning, at precisely 3:15, things were out in the kitchen trying to cook or something. I got my headlamp out and since the batteries were low I couldn't shine the beam that far and I was to afraid to get out of bed. So I, once again, slept very little last night. This is getting old. I thought I was more hard core than this. I am not a wimp. Most things just do not bother me. At home, in my own home, we have bears, mice, once a weasel was inside, and pack rats. A pack rat crawled over me at Amityville horror hour about 6 years ago. OK, that DID freak me out and I was ready to sell the house, but still. What is it about being here that has me scared to sleep? What is the deal? It started with that darn creature. Now, he's like a part of our family. Of course, the girls have moved into our bathroom and we all 4 share a little tiny comode. Everynight Hannah or Jordan will walk, slowly and quietly, into their bathroom and turn on the light and yell, as if a long lost relative just walked in our casita, "Mom, the creature's out!" I'll have to go get a looksee just because it's like a bad car accident. I can't not look. "Goodnight Creature", I'll say.
We got our things together and went to the beach early. It was around 9:30 and we had plans to take the 1:30 bus to Santa Cruz for our cultural day. Jack managed to carry the surfboard and 2 boogie boards down. How? I have no idea but he did it. He's good. We surfed and boogie boarded and swam until noon. The girls met some friends from Los Angeles who we are meeting manana. We were all whooped. We rode home and showered and walked to the bus stop and sat down and waited. It's always a crap shoot as to when that bus is going to show up and where it is going. After about 20 minutes of the drunk store owner, where we wait for the bus, and us trying to communicate on when the bus comes and who is going to be the champions of the world cup soccer, we figured out that he comes from another direction today and it is 45 minutes after the time we had thought. We had a lot of time to kill. The girls bought Fanta's and we waited while watching soccer on t.v. The bus came and it was the blue school bus with the bus driver who does not rip us off. He's a good guy. You can just tell. The other bus driver is an ass and intimidates everyone who gets on his bus and he rips us off. The term down here is getting gringo'd. So, we board the bus and it's Pura Vida. We took a different route, different driver, and it was much prettier and much more adventurous. He actually drives THROUGH a river for a little bit. I wondered what the heck he does if that river gets any bigger. The rains surely fills that thing up and then what? I'm sure he barrels right through it. We get to Santa Cruz and Jack, being Jack, says we're going to a new part of town. The girls don't like this one bit but they are being troopers and we walk. We walk and walk and walk. I keep asking him if he knows where he is going and he says, "yup" and we walk. We walk for about a mile and I'm sweating like a pig (shocking) and he turns to me and says, "Elliot said it was about a 2 or so mile walk. Jordan has to pee and things are going downhill and I am looking at him like he is crazy. We have a total of 3 hours to shop, eat and walk before we have to catch the only bus back. How long does it take to walk 2 miles alone???? We make the decision to turn back and go to where we have always gone before. IN TOWN!!!!! We head back into the town and find the restaurant where we first had breakfast. We ordered dinner and got some food in our bellies. We went to the Mercado and did our grocery shopping. I have become quite the leader, or drill sargent as some would say, while we are in the grocery store. Especially when we are on a time limit. I'll say to Jack and the girls, "find me 3 cans of tuna in water!" they will and deliver. I'll say, "find the packets of sauce w/ Hongos (mushrooms) and get 4 of those. We're all running around the grocery store getting our food that we need to survive. We got on the bus with minutes to spare. This time we knew where the bus was going and we had our headlamps with us. It barrels down the road and we are bumping along for almost 2 hours on the worst roads you can imagine. We got off the bus and put on our headlamps and walked the muddy road back 20 minutes to our casita. We were surprised to see how hard it must have rained since Santa Cruz only got some sprinkles. We had to take the umbrellas out for a little bit. No big deal. But here, it must have poured.
As we were getting off the bus tonight I said to the driver. "Gustamos esta boos. Es Pura Vida. Muchas Gracias" He laughed and said, "Con mucho gusto, Pura Vida."
I love that bus driver. I love Costa Rica.

6 comments:

Jan said...

I know you are hard core out there Hef!! Did you ever think maybe its haunted?????? You need to find some tea that you can drink that makes you sleepy!!! I would think all of that friggin' exercise you get would put you right out. Good lord woman!

I want to know where Jack was leading you all?

hefr said...

Jan, I have thought that it's haunted. Funny huh?
Jack was trying to find the other part of town where they sell fresh veggies like a farmer's market type thing. Elliot told him about the old part of town.

jan said...

okay, find some sage and smoke out the place!!

hefr said...

I brought lavendar, clary sage and a mixture of something called cool hottie which has EVERY essential oil in it. I'm now thinking we need to just coexist with the bugs/critters. We are, after all, living in their territory. (right??)

Anonymous said...

Unless there are vampires, no creatures are going to attack you at night, especially with Jack there. (oh, maybe there are cute vampires) :)

jan said...

hahaha, i was referring to the ghost, smoke the hell out of the place w/the sage to get rid of the ghost!!