Mountain Life in Colorado: We Are Family

Sunday, November 27, 2011

We Are Family

Lately, we haven't been watching TV.  I mean, we watch TV but it's not going on first thing in the morning on Saturday or Sunday and I'm not having to yell, "turn the TV off!" 

The girls, for some reason, have been waking up and doing other stuff.  Arts and crafts, violin, cards, just piddling around.  It's been wonderful.  This morning I did, however, wake up to them playing ping pong on the wii.  I laid in bed listening to the funny comments and banter between them.  When I got up I got my coffee and watched them.  Jack came in after working on his skis all morning and we all decided to go for a walk up Deer Creek. 

We got on our winter clothes and headed out the door.  The girls had sleds, Jack had his snow skate, teller had a stick and I had the camera.  We walked up the first hill and stashed the sleds in the woods because we wanted to hike up further to see what Jack has named 'Little Alaska.'  
Little Alaska is an area in Deer Creek we ski in the winter.  There is a wall of chutes and cornices that he felt needed that name.  It's super cool to ski and we ski up there often with the snowmobiles towing us up there. 

We hiked up to the culvert and got a good look at Little Alaska and even though there is snow up there it's still not enough to ski.  Safely that is.  Our walk was fun with just the 4 of us plus Teller.  We sang, laughed, threw snow, talked and told stories and most importantly, we enjoyed each other and had a great time.  I took a couple of pictures but never enough.  We decided not to take our Christmas picture because Buster, our cat, wasn't with the family and that wouldn't be nice to him. 

We walked back down to where we had stashed the sleds and sledded down the most fun part of the hill to the parking lot.  I always love looking at my house from Deer Creek.  I still can't believe I live in such beautiful mountains. 

2 comments:

joe said...

Well it was a good summer cause I see the old snow pants still fit!!!!

hefr said...

Busting at the seams. ARGH!