Mountain Life in Colorado: The Other Half

Friday, July 29, 2011

The Other Half

Apparently, that is what some would call someone like me.  This goes along with my title on another blog post, "Going against the grain." 
I have always been going against the grain since I was a little kid.  I was suppose to be this cute little girlie girl and yet I was more dirty after a hard days play than my brother's.  I was suppose to wear dresses to school in 1st, 2nd, 3rd grades because that is what little girls did only I would bring long pants to school and slap those babies on under my dress, over my tights and boy did I feel good when I got those pants on.  I was suppose to behave but never did.  I just liked to rebel and when it was time to go to college, I went but dropped pretty much every class and partied like a rock star.  What a great time college was for me.  Then, I decided that I needed to become a ski bum.  I would, once again, go against the grain and do something I probably should not do because I should settle down and get married to my then boyfriend and live my live.  NOPE!  I was antsy and needed to not do what was expected of me by society, not my parents.  My parents loved my free spirit, after I made their life hell.  Once I was old enough to do my own thing they couldn't have been more supportive.  I love them for that.  So, ski bumming it was and still is.  Kind of.  I mean, we are raising our own little ski bums and we have made a great live for ourselves here.  We don't ski every day, all day, anymore.  Well, Jack does but that's another blog.  Anywho, tonight I waited on a 4 top who just didn't get it.  They were above and beyond, well, me for one.  Clearly they were very educated and "worldly" and they had no clue as to how pretentious they were.  After listening to their conversation all night they were talking about school, Yale in particular.  I figured this guy was a Yale graduate and I had the urge to say, "Hey, did you go to Yale?  My brother got his masters degree from Yale.  Perhaps you know him", but I didn't.  Their conversation went something like this.  Blah, blah, blah, and most who get their education blah, blah, blah.  Then you have those who don't get an education and blah, blah, blah and life is like blah, blah, blah but that must be how the OTHER HALF is." 
Yes, I am the other half. 
Yes, sometimes I just have to write this stuff just to defend myself and my choices in life.  Why?  I don't know I just do.  Maybe you're one who uses this term about people like me.  The term 'The Other Half" meaning people who aren't like you.  I say, "GET OVER YOURSELVES!" 
I guarantee my half is full and yours is empty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did they leave a good tip?

hefr said...

Haha, yes, they did. Clearly they were educated on tipping.

Lynne said...

If we didn't celebrate and enjoy our differences wouldn't life be boring??

hefr said...

So true Lynne. I love the fact that I get to meet all kinds where I work. It makes me a better person for it. Sometimes.