Mountain Life in Colorado: Jack Said Yes

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Jack Said Yes

Tonight we are attending a fundraiser for our good friend John Flanagan.  He got out of the hospital a few days ago and is now back in summit county. 
Here's another John Paul story. 
I think it's because of John that Jack and I got married.  Our first date was huge.  With John's help, Jack set me up with back country gear.  I had these old leather Fabiano boots and long skinny skis with flimsy 3-pin bindings.  He made this plan for us to hike up Webster Pass with our skis and ski down then hike up to Santa Fe cabin and spend the night.  The cabin sits on the side of the mountain above tree line and it has a wood burning stove in it and it's rustic.  We spent the day hiking and ended up at the cabin and I remember how tired I was.  It was gruelling and I think Jack did that to me on purpose to see if I could handle it.  I could.  Barely.  John was so impressed with the fact that Jack took me up there and I held my own.  He told me so over and over.  So now, Jack and I are a couple and John is becoming a good friend.  After over 4 years of being with Jack, living together, etc, I wanted to settle down.  Jack, claiming he was not the marrying type, was not going to go down that road.  Well, we were at the Snake one night with John and we were having a blast, as usual.  I decided it was time and I got down on one knee and took Jacks hand in mine (what the hell is wrong with THIS picture) and proposed, right in front of John.  John was extremely floored and he was telling Jack he better not say no.  John was laughing so hard and being John and just couldn't believe it.  Shots of Jamison. 
The next day, Jack called my Dad.  He then called John to ask him to be our best man in our wedding.  It was classic.  To this day we laugh at the whole proposal, from me, thing.  John was the best man in our wedding and that is another story.   
Good Times. 

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Awww...I love this story!