Mountain Life in Colorado: March 5th, 2008

Monday, March 7, 2011

March 5th, 2008

3 years ago my Mom died.  I didn't and couldn't write about it then and didn't give any inclination to it because it's still just too sad.  I had a great day and didn't expect it.  I was anticipating the day for awhile and with so much going on in our lives I was just going to see where the day led me.  I knew I was going to do something in honor of my Mom and I did.  I skied.
Even though my Mom didn't ski I feel she would have loved it had she taken it up.  She was me only 31 years older. 
The skiing was excellent.  We had received a few inches of snow overnight and it was my first day off in awhile and after skiing the back country the day before I felt like getting many runs in at the Basin and I knew, when I woke up that morning, that I was going to ski and ski fast.
My good friend Joe was here from MN and after Jack got the kids off to school that morning we decided to drive to the Basin.  We got there at around 9:30 and surprisingly so, we go more snow then I expected.  We rode the chair and I could feel my adrenaline as I was looking around and watching the skiers coming down.  It was good.  Even though Jack took my fat skies down to the shop with him for a tune up I wasn't upset thinking my Volkl's would be perfect.  They were great to ski on but my fatties would have been much more fun.  Not a big deal because I was having fun regardless.
I purposely skipped breakfast because I really, really wanted a breakfast burrito.  After skiing a few runs it was time for a water break and a burrito.  We went into the A-frame and they stopped serving breakfast at 10:30.  It was 11:00.  No bueno.
I got some soup and fries and water and after fueling up it was time to ski again.  We skied until 2 something and called it a day.  It was pure winter up there and it was just what I needed to remember the day my Mom died.  I thought about it all day.  I was skiing lines I haven't skied in years just because we haven't had the snow to do so.  The Ally's were amazing.  You could ski "The Waterfall" with confidence and the same with "My Chute."    It was very cool.  My Mom would have loved it and she did.
I miss my Mom something fierce and think of her every day.  She is still with us and I feel it now.
I am so very proud to have been her daughter. 

1 comment:

Joe said...

Wish I would of known. What a fun day! She would of been proud you were on it girl!!