Mountain Life in Colorado: Public Transportation

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Public Transportation

Yesterday we had no school.  I had to take my car to Denver to get it worked on which is off of Colfax.  The girls and I headed down and got there at around 11a.m.  We dropped off the car and decided to catch the bus to the mall across town.  Since Colfax is not one of the better streets in Denver, we had an interesting experience.  I haven't taken the bus for years.  I can't even remember the last time I took a bus.  So, trying to figure it out was educational.  We walked down the busy street to the bus sign and waited.  It came right away and we got on, paid our share. I had to ask the driver, as I had no idea, if it went to Colorado Mills, and sat down.  Good thing I asked him.  He said no.  He gave me ticket vouchers and dropped us off at the next stop and told us to wait for the 16L bus.  We got off.  There was a bench occupied by a drunk, homeless guy who immediately asked us for some money.
 We ignored him.  We stood away from him waiting for the bus and it was taking awhile.  Homeless guy moved his backpack and I finally walked over and sat down on the bench with the girls.  Hannah immediately was engaged in conversation with him, what she could understand.  She kept asking him to repeat himself because he was slurring and she couldn't understand him.  He started reciting poetry to her, and she was just as entertained as ever.  She was asking him all sorts of questions like, "Where are you going?",  "where do you live?",  "are you from here?" , "do you like it here?", etc.  It was so interesting watching Hannah ask all of these questions and really wondering what this guys story was.  It was like she was a reporter and she was going to report this story.  The 16L bus finally came, after about 45 minutes, and we got on after making sure it was going to the mall.  Now, we have all new characters to see.  Whew, are there ever some weirdos out there.  One guy wouldn't take his eyes off Hannah and he was smiling and making icky faces and I wanted to slug him.  Disgusting.  We got to the mall safe and sound and the last thing I wanted to do was get on the bus and take it back.  Lucky for us, we met my good friend, Liz, by chance, and she was getting her car worked on too.  She read my status on facebook and I had written on it that I would be in Denver getting my car worked on and spending the day with my daughters.  She called me and we met at the mall.  We ended up getting a ride back with her.  It was a good experience, especially since in Costa Rica we will be using public transportation to get around for the most part.  I better get used to it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, if you want to be a serious writer, you have to engage with all walks of life and no better place to do so than on a bus. Brett told me this too so I would consent to ride the bus from Ft. Collins to Des Moines, IA--totally met many a character that would make a great story. Rock on Hannah, a brave little angel.

hefr said...

So true. I rode the Greyhound bus from Mpls to Daytona, Fl. I was 17 and talk about something I shouldn't have been doing. We arrived safe and sound. What an experience that was.