Mountain Life in Colorado: Bears in March

Monday, March 8, 2010

Bears in March

I bought some birdseed the other day because I have not fed my birds in quite awhile.  They must be very hungry.  At work Saturday night I walked in at 4 and Aaron, our dishwasher explains to me, in spanish, that he was walking to his car the previous night after his shift and there, out of hybernation, was a bear.  A hungry bear.  Obviously with the warm weather we have been having and the little early snow we didn't have the bears are a little confused and one actually came out of hybernation to seek food from our dumpster.  Poor thing.  Now I'm kind of not wanting to put that seed out because if I do and the bear smells it-dinner for the bear.  I wonder if bears go back into hybernation but then again, down on the front range there is no snow and the weather is almost golfing temps and I'm sure it's almost time for those guys to wake up.  Bears, after all, can travel 100 in a day.  Tomorrow I'm going to fill those feeders and see how happy I have made my bird friends.  The dumpsters are a lot easier to get to than my feeders anyway.

No comments: