Mountain Life in Colorado: The Ski Trip Lodge

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Ski Trip Lodge

     I am a career waitress.  There, I said it.  I used to be kind of ashamed or embarrassed to say that but at 45 years old, I think it's obvious.  I'm also pretty happy doing what I'm doing.  This time around.  When I say, "this time around," I am referring to the fact that I first started working at the restaurant in 1989.  I stayed until 2002.  13 years, day in and day out, night in and night out.  I got very burnt out.  I left unhappy and bitter.  Not a good way to leave a job.  I swore I would never, ever waitress again.  Especially there, in that restaurant.  No way, no how.  Never say never.   I'm back and this time around is totally different, but the same too.  The waitstaff is tight.  We all have pretty much put in 20+ years.  That is a long time to work with the same 7 people year after year after year.  We all have grown, some had kids, some came out of the closet, some got divorced and remarried, some not.  We have all skied together, partied together, fought together, and made up together.  We have all seen the hardships of each others lives.  We all have had our meltdowns and breakdowns.  


     I got the job in 1989.  I was ecstatic.  I had heard that it was a great place to work.  I was 24 years old.   Dinners were $25/person for a 4 course dinner.  That was an interesting summer for me.  I played, partied and worked hard.  In that order.  Within the next few years our staff was formed.  We are all grown up now and looking back on those early days in our early 20's never gets old.  I'm going to work on the sitcom.  It's worth it.  The place is named Ski Tip because back when it was built, in the early 1940's, instead of putting traditional door knobs on the doors they cut off the tips of wooden skis and nailed them to the door.  The ski tips are still on some doors.  You just pull open the door with the ski tip.  Years ago in the early 90's the phone rang.  Dave answered it and I was standing next to him.  He answered "Ski Tip Lodge, how may I help you?"  The reply on the other end was, "Is this the Ski Trip Lodge?"  Dave's reply, "It was back in the 60's."  Then we just cracked up.  Things like that we find to be so funny.  And still do.  The job is amazingly funny, stressful, hard on the body, and so much more.  I would love to write a sitcom about it someday.  The title will be "Ski Trip."

No comments: