Mountain Life in Colorado: The Kidnapping

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Kidnapping

Tonight's the big kidnapping.  Apparently it's "fun".  For Jordan????  I'm not so sure about that.  Let me explain.
Every year the swim team seniors line up a "kidnapping" for the underclass.  At the beginning of swim season they told all of the parents that they will pick a night and drive to that swimmers house and get them out of bed in the middle of the night and not let them get dressed, comb their hair, or anything.  The asked that for those of us who live far away to maybe arrange for our kid to spend the night with a fellow swimmer.  We were given instructions to put our dog's away, unlock the door and give directions to the bedroom our daughter is sleeping in.  Sounds fun, huh????
Not for Jordan.  She knows that this is going to happen but doesn't know when and she totally wants to be a part of it.  Well, Jordan isn't like most girls.  She suffers from extreme anxiety on top of everything else and two nights ago when I lined up for her to sleep over at a friends house she went into panic mode.  There was no way I was expecting those girls to drive up here on our slick, icy, windy road to get my daughter.  It's too far away.   
I made up some excuse that I had to work a breakfast and that Dad couldn't possibly make it up and down the hill twice in one morning to get her to swim practice and Hannah to school.   Well, she didn't buy it and went into panic mode and couldn't stand the thought of sleeping over at so and so's house ON A SCHOOL NIGHT!!!!!
She is crying and crawling out of her skin and can't get it together.  I'm thinking this is a bad idea for her and I try calming her down saying it'll be fun and when does she ever get a chance to sleep over at a friends on a school night?  It's not working. 
I finally tell her the secret. 
Shame on me but like I said, we're not dealing with your ordinary child here.  This is different. 
I tell her we can call it all off and it would be better that she doesn't stay up all night, then swim practice, then school.  She almost bought it but then decided that she cannot miss out.  Darnit. 
So, tonight she is at her friends and hasn't spilled the beans and has already called 3 times.  The first time she was crying, wanting to be picked up, the second time she put it together and the third time she just wanted to hear my voice.  Sigh!
I love my daughter so much with her flaws and I am hoping that everything will be fine.  It's all harmless and they don't do anything wrong or mean or inappropriate.  It's just a great group of girls, 9th-12th grades that are doing what teens do best.  Having Fun. 
She's going to be a mess tomorrow and I will deal with that tomorrow. 
Ahhhhh,  High School.

No comments: