Mountain Life in Colorado: Squatters Rights

Monday, January 30, 2012

Squatters Rights

I'm missing Costa Rica so much.  I can't stop thinking about our summer there two summers ago.  It seems like a lifetime.  I got on Google Earth to check on our land.  I want to know if our banana trees are growing.  I want to see if our fence is still up.  I want to see the house next to us and if they finished it.  I want to see if squatters have moved in. Costa Rica has something called squatters rights.

 

Squatters Rights in Costa Rica:

Squatters, or precaristas, begin to receive rights to a piece of real estate after 3 months of living on the land. After a year, the squatter can apply for expropriation with the Agriculture Development Institute (IDA). If the IDA declares the property in conflict, the land is sold and handed over to the squatters. Oceanfront real estate in The Maritime Zone can not be owned, it can only be leased, and prime beach front properties often attract many problems with squatters. If squatters are not evicted within 3 months, the process of eviction can be long and expensive, often resulting in the loss of the property.

We won't let that happen but I do find it interesting. 
  I want to be in Costa Rica.  I found our lot, on Google Earth, and unfortunately couldn't see the fence or the banana trees and the lot next to us seemed undeveloped.  I think it's from a few years ago so nothing was updated.  I don't know.  And the pixels weren't doing their job.  It was too fuzzy the more I zoomed in.  But, it was great to see the lot and I followed the road with my mouse cursor like we would ride on our bikes. 
I  really, really miss Costa Rica! 
 
  
  

 Our Costa Rica Land


  
   -

  

 

No comments: