Mountain Life in Colorado: The Human Body

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Human Body

The human body is amazing. My Dad suffered a blood clot causing his heart to stop, liver and kidney failure, no oxygen to his brain for minutes, was shocked back to life, was frozen for 48 hours then defrosted, and is now home in his house.


It's just mind boggling. Happy New Year Dad. Glad you are still with us.

 
Meanwhile, my body is taking a beating.  At 46 years old, I'm feeling every year and then some.  Waiting tables and carrying those trays is taking it's toll and last night I had such awful pain in my back I couldn't even function.  Try smiling and acting like everything is going just great when my sciatic nerve is making me look like I slipped on a banana peel, and my back is spasming as I'm setting down your cocktail (it's tempting to take a chug off of that Makers/coke on my way to your table).  But, I'm a professional and I won't sip off of your drink, or show you my pain or complain to you while you are having the time of your lives.  I love my job and I am glad to be working.  I just need to pop another Aleve and get over it.  And stretch.  And do yoga.  And remember that others aren't so fortunate to be working. 
But man, will my insurance come in handy for my chiropractor.
Time for some Aleve, a shower, and another night of wincing.


2 comments:

John W. said...

oy! I am with you on the body aches. See Relative Something for Jan. 6. Would that our spirits could step in and out of these silly human bodies at will, without having to wait for that eternal transition. Meanwhile, pain meds and chiropractors and the precious hands-on of massage therapy. I can imagine how, by the end of life on earth, our spirits must really be ready to soar! Makes it all the more impressive when a soul chooses to remain in body, don't you think?

hefr said...

Yes, John, I agree. I love your last sentence the most and I often think of my precious Mom freeing herself from years and years of horrible pain. Thank you for that wonderful comment.