Mountain Life in Colorado: Fun in the Sun

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fun in the Sun

I grew up in a neighborhood and summertime was a time for riding bikes up and down the street and usually the neighborhood kids would all jump on the band wagon and within an hour there were 10 kids yelling and laughing and playing and many times that house that everyone ended up at was our house.  My parents were smart.  They bought a ping pong table and we had it set up in our garage.  We had a basketball net.  We had a great house for hanging out at and my parents liked the fact that we were there, especially my Mom so she could listen to our conversations and most especially so she could keep an eye on us.  Now that I'm a Mom I want everyone to hang out up at our house.  Our house isn't a convenient place to hang out at.  We are the last house on the road and a mile and a half away from the town.  It's uphill, and a hard uphill, for kids to ride to.  But, none the less, the kids are here today and having a ball.  Even the dog is happy out there with them.  They are playing volleyball, soccer, swinging in the hammock, swinging on the tire swing, zipping on the zip line over the river and, of course, Jack has a bonfire going.  Even though I'm not out there with them, I can hear the laughter and the fun they are having.  It's bringing  back some very wonderful memories of growing up and having the time of my life. 
I hope our kids remember how great they have it.  It's paradise up here. 

No comments: