Mountain Life in Colorado: This May Offend

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

This May Offend

This week has been a very busy week, work wise.  It's good.  The money has been great and I am getting hours.  Attitudes are good, although we are getting "short" with each other over the little things at work.  We're all like brother's and sister's who need to have a spat or two.  Nothing major but you can tell when we are busy and we are working a lot.  We get serious about our jobs and we turn into worker bees and get all focused on the task at hand.  Our humor isn't as free and the job turns into a job.  We have had nice people in with the occasional doink who just shouldn't go out to dinner, but we all have learned how to deal with those people pretty well. 
Tonight we had a huge banquet for 120 people.  Now, most restaurants can accommodate that many people no problem.  We can too when the weather is good.  We have the best patio around with views to die for.  Well, it rained on their parade tonight so it was a bit tricky to disperse 120 people for cocktails for an hour in our quaint lodge.  The fires were lit, as they are every night and the doors and windows were all open and the weather was amazing.  I haven't seen rain like that since we lived in Costa Rica last summer.  It was crazy.  And the lightning was incredible.  What a show.  We all were having fun and we were all laughing about last night. 
I, which everyone does eventually, screwed up my words at a table last night and it was funny.  I had a 4-top sit down and I went up to the table and did my spiel.  I told them about the bread, the wine list, and the menu.  I told them I would give them a few minutes and if they had any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  They asked.  One of the men asked me what Fois Gras was.  That was our appetizer for the evening.  Fois Gras is duck liver but when you usually say LIVER to people they immediately get grossed out.  It's different than LIVER and it's amazing.  I love Fois Gras.  Anywho, the guy asked me what it was and I was standing at the table all proper and my reply was, "Well sir, it's dick lover."  I actually said dick lover to this guy.  I immediately knew I had just said dick lover and corrected myself and told him it was duck liver.  Then I proceeded to tell him how it just melts in your mouth and if he has never had it he should try it.  Well, he ordered the Fois Gras.  I went back into the kitchen told everyone what I had just said.  You can imagine the laughs I got and Chef loved that one.  We were all still laughing about it tonight. 
At the end of the night last night our kitchen crew, who are so nice, asked me how my night was.  I replied, "my night was great because I got to say DICK LOVER to my table." 
I love my job. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG you are the funniest friend I have!

hefr said...

Deb, I knew you, of all people, would love this story.

Lynne said...

The fact that you said "Dick lover" and it melts in your mouth in one sentence is hysterical ! Hahaha