Mountain Life in Colorado: Teen Years

Monday, September 20, 2010

Teen Years

Jordan and I got into the worst fight we have ever been in. It happened last Wednesday. I texted her telling her that I was at the school and don't get on the bus. I was in Frisco anyway and figured I might as well pick them up from school. The girls got in the car and all was good. Jordan copped an attitude about not being able to get on the bus with her friends. She was texting and chomping her gum. We were all fine. Jordan tells me she failed an assignment in Humanities (which was social studies when I was in school). She told me that it counted as 70% of her grade. Of course, I started asking her what it was that she didn't understand on the test, did you talk to your teacher about it, are you able to make it up or re-take it. All of her answers were defensive and with an attitude. It's the attitude that sends me. She got so disrespectful that I demanded she give me her phone. She refused. This is where it got ugly. I'm not going into details because I don't want to but I wish I would have handled the entire situation so much differently. Jordan, at 14, is not an easy kid. Never has been. But this was the most disrespectful I have ever seen her and it killed me.
Did I really raise a child that didn't even think before acting and saying? What the heck makes her go off like that? Balistic even?
We got home and I did take her phone away. It's gone for a month as well as her computer priveleges and t.v. It's killing her. She is also not allowed a sleepover or to go to any friends. Our biggest mistake we always make is giving in to her sooner than we should. We can't live with it ourselves so we always give her her stuff back. We have definitely created a monster and now we are paying for it. Shame on us.
This time I think she knew things have changed. I mean business. And it is not easy. Her having no t.v. or computer is very hard and she usually makes life such hell on us, so we give in. Like I said. Things have changed and she knows she screwed up. I truly believe she is sorry for her actions, as am I, and she is trying super hard to accept her consequenses. It hasn't been a week yet and so far it hasn't been too bad. She is alone in her room, which is something she has never, ever been able to do. She is keeping busy. I'm really proud of her for dealing with this the way she should be dealing with this.
I had to have a serious conversation with myself and ask myself what I was doing as a parent that was not working. I was failing with my 14 year old daughter and I just couldn't figure out why. I just hope we can all be better and stronger in the future. I'm trying.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,

It's tough, I know We all make mistakes in parenting. If I could, I'd go back and undo many of the things I said and did too. If you haven't already done so, read "Parenting with Love and Logic" by Foster Cline & Jim Fay. It's really an owners manual for parents. Let's talk. You're both in my prayers for the days to come.

hefr said...

Yup, I've read it and many, many books on the subject. I've attended parenting classes, seminars and support groups. Still making mistakes and I guess I'll learn from them.
Yes, let's talk.

Salzajan said...

Heather, the only advice I can give to you is try not to "discipline" when you at an emotional high. It usually doesn't work and this is probably where your guilt comes in. If its getting to the point where you both are angry, you just need to say. "okay, stop. We need a break to cool down. This doesn't mean its over, we can revisit this when its more calm" I had lots of this with Phillip and it wasn't until he was much older and when we had to go through counseling that I got help with how to manage it. Mostly it was about me not getting hooked into his mood/anger/angst. I look back and want to hit myself when I realized that I would get mad because he was mad. If he wants to get mad... thats his choice. One day we can talk about this... it was pretty severe and I have such sadness over how I handled many things with him. And he too was not easy, never was and really still isn't.

Salzajan said...

oh... two more things.
1. Did you know she wanted to take the bus instead of being picked up?

2. She may already have been worked up at the possible reaction she was going to get from you regarding her fail.

hefr said...

So true Jan. I have a lot to remember in the heat of the moment. I really am going to try next time to walk away or stop talking.

Salzajan said...

Just remember... you are not perfect. And who can love your kids more than you??? I have met your kids a few times and the way they embraced your summer was awesome. You are a good momma! Don't beat yourself up too much. Forgive yourself too.

hefr said...

It's payback time for me. Look what I put my wonderful Mother through. I left her when I was 14 and came back once I moved to CO. I loved her and appreciated her more than ever. Still do.

Salzajan said...

hmmm, seems like that's a childs job. so unfair!!!! lol. I appreciated my Mom the minute Phillip was born for sure!!!! I have to say though, my sister Mary being so tough on her, i really wasn't hard on my mom ever. i think i'm harder on her now that she is living with me. what an awful daughter i am! lol :)