Mountain Life in Colorado: I Knew It

Sunday, October 17, 2010

I Knew It

I knew it!!
Hannah finally admitted it. She misses Costa Rica. She is our kid that was giving us the what for every time we talked about moving there, while we were there. I remember one day in particular.
We had a typical day. We were staying in the nice house. We woke up, had coffee out front feeling the air getting hot. Took a swim. Went to beach and swam. Came back for lunch and ate and chilled out for awhile. Back to beach for whatever. Home for a cold beer and a swim. This is when Hannah let us have it. Jack and I were making plans all day. We were talking about getting back to Colorado and setting goals for us to get back to Costa Rica to live. How can we pull it off? What will we do about school? Work? Where do we live while we are building our place? All that stuff. Well, Hannah was listening to every word and did not like it one bit. Jack and I were sitting out by the pool and Hannah comes out and said she needed to talk to us. OK. Talk. She was mad. Really mad. She started off by staying we, as parents, could not move the family to Costa Rica. It just isn't fair that we would do that without everyone on board. She continued... Don't you realize what you are doing to us? We have no house here, no friends (not true), no school and I am not a beach girl. I am a mountain girl. I want to ski not surf. I'm over this heat and I'm over these bugs. I am bored here and we don't have a car. We can't live here because we just can't. I want to go home and stay home. My best friend is there and my school is there and everything is there. She went on and on while Jack and I listened and appreciated her anger and frustration with us. It was actually very impressive. By the end of her ranting and raving she was crying now, which was breaking my heart, and went inside to watch tv. Jack and I just looked at each other and we were both speechless. She had great points. Which makes this even more difficult. Do we actually gamble with our family this way??
Well, obviously nothing has happened and we are in Colorado. Still talking, still planning, still dreaming, still wanting to go back. Last night Hannah and I were making popcorn on the stove. We made a lot of popcorn while we were in the casita. It brought back great memories. Hannah and I were both in our own thoughts. I was thinking of the casita. Obviously she was too because she said, "Mom, I miss the casita. I miss Costa Rica" I looked at her and said, "did you just say you miss Costa Rica?" She said, "Yes, I do. I really do." I gave her a big hug and we both just laughed.
I can't wait to tell Jack. He left early this morning to buy chains for the plow truck. He's still not back yet.

2 comments:

Salzajan said...

oh they do love to mess with us don't they :)

hefr said...

Oh yes they do, Jan. We went to see Secretariat yesterday with a friend and we were talking about the weather and how it's coming in. Hannah pipes up in the back seat and says, "I can't wait to ski! I hate summer!".
Yeah, right.