Mountain Life in Colorado: First Snow

Friday, October 8, 2010

First Snow

 Today is the seasons first snowfall.  It's pretty too.  The race is on for opening day between Arapahoe Basin and Loveland.  I'm sure those snow guns are fired up and blowing full speed ahead.    We are gearing up for ski season.  It still brings butterflies to my stomach every year.  The girls got new ski pants and Hannah got a new coat.  Jordan didn't need one.  Hers from last year still fits.  We need to get skis for the girls.  Hannah was begging and pleading for her own pair of skis this year.  Cringe.  Every year we rent her and Jordan their skis, boots and poles.  It costs us around $170 per season, per kid and it's a great way to go.  Of course, those kids who are fortunate enough to get their own pair of skis each year, make fun of her for having rentals.  She hates the fact that her friends comment on the ski thing and really, really wanted her own pair of skis.  Ain't gonna happen.  We can't justify buying gear only for her to grow out of it in 1-2 years.  Lucky for me, we were walking through the sports store the other day and there on display were a pair of K2 twin tips with super cool graphics.  Hannah walked right up to those skis and touched them and looked at me and I said, "They're rentals", with a smile on my face.  She wanted them.  She's OK with rentals as long as she looks good.  To bad I didn't think of that last year.   Her skis last year were blah, drab, and not twin tips.  How lame. I remember my first pair of skis and how important it was that they looked good and matched my outfit.  I was 15 and my parents bought them for me after a huge amount of begging.  They were Head skis and I only remember that they were a pretty blue.  I was so excited that I displayed them in my room for weeks.  They leaned up against my wall, next to my bed, so I could look at them first thing when I woke up and last thing before I fell asleep. I can see it in Hannah.  She is the same and takes pride in her gear.   Jordan, she could care less.  It's murder for her to go out in that cold.  Give her the beach and she'll show you a thing or two about swimming and boogie boarding in the ocean. 
  I'm set with my gear although I could use a new pair of boots.  Alpine boots.  I bought AT boots for last year and they're great but definitely not the support that I'd like.  Boots are like sports bras.  Support matters.  Except boots cost around $500 bucks. 
Jack, I'm sure, will sneak in a few new pieces of equipment this year.  He is harder on equipment then anyone I've ever meant.  I'd like to see a company who can make a boot that will last longer than 2 years for him.  It's crazy. 
October 8, 2010, first snow.   Bring it on.  We are somewhat ready. 

No comments: