Mountain Life in Colorado: My Testimonial, for now

Sunday, October 3, 2010

My Testimonial, for now

OOOFDAH! 
This is all I can say about getting back to work again.  I feel like I've been run over by a snowboarder  (not a good feeling).  Chalk it up to age.  I'm not alone.  We are the geriactric crew at work and we all chuckle over our ailments.  But I had an idea.  I wasn't going to hurt so bad when 10 p.m.  rolled around.  I bought new shoes yesterday.  Not your ordinary black work shoes that you see everyone busting out of in the restaurant business.  I decided to buy Shape ups.  You know, those shoes that look like an ancient boat that curves up?  I figured I may as well get my butt in shape while working at the same time.  I put those shoes on and the jokes started to fly.  Even from me.  I felt like I was walking in moon boots.  Definitely something to get used to.  But they felt good.  I was ready to rock and roll.  My first table sat down at 5:45.  They were friends of mine.  We had some fun.  At the end of their night they noticed my shoes and after more jokes and laughing I was proudly saying "Hey, I'm getting in shape as I stand here."  Take that!  We were now talking about the infomercials selling the ab toner which I jokingly said I was wearing as well.  Not. 
My shoes felt pretty good.  10 p.m. rolled around and I had a chance to breath and noticed that I was able to pick up my pen that fell to the floor.  Usually I have to kick it under the counter so as not to bend down and hurt myself.  I was able to stoke the fire without grunting in front of the guests.  Usually when I have to heave a log on the fire I have to heave out a huge grunt and pretend I'm clearing my throat.  I was pretty happy with my new $40 shape up shoes and $25 dollar foot beds.  At the end of the night, midnight, after doing our waiter paperwork, it was time to climb up the steep stairs to the wait room to change and go home.  I hate those creaky old stairs at the end of the night.  We hurt and we are all sludging up them like it's our last push to the summit.  Egghead was in front of me and she was making those little noises as she was going up like, "oh man" and " ah" and "shit."  Not me.  She got to the top and rounded the corner and looked down at me as I was taking those stairs two at a time, smiling.      
So, no matter how ugly things are, in this case my shoes, it might be a good buy.  And I'm going to have the butt to prove it. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hef,
Darrel and I were in Taylor's Falls for fun and food. Stopped by a lil hamburger joint, hotter n hell outside right now. Anyhow, noticed two of the waitstaff had those shoes on. D and I said that they must be pretty comfy if two of the 3 waitreses were wearing them. Mom wants to know the weight of them, are they heavy? my guess is not, or you wouldn't be wearing them.