Mountain Life in Colorado: Halloween

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Halloween











I love Halloween. I always have. I love getting dressed up. I love going to Halloween parties. It's just a good time had by all. Well, not all. Last year I had to work and we had a murder mystery. I walked in and my manager was excited about the evening. She brought a costume and in walks JBP and he was already dressed up as a tennis pro. I got on the phone and had Jack bring down the Halloween costume box. He did as he was going trick or treating with the kids. One of my co-workers did NOT want to dress up. He wanted nothing to do with it and was getting more and more angry and cranky as we were all getting more and more excited. I met him in the wait room and sat down and had a heart to heart with him. I told him how happy and proud he would make me if he agreed to let ME decide on a costume for him. After all, he'll be the only one not dressed for Halloween. He really didn't have a choice. He was so mad. I had found my old maternity dress (two or three of us wore that thing as we were pregnant), it was still hanging up. He put it on. I had an old lady wig that he put on. I had my old school Keystone name tag from the 80's that said Inga. He pinned it to his dress. He had on black crew socks and black shoes and the dress came to just below his knees. He looked hysterical but he was not amused. He was a trooper and we all had so many laughs at his expense.
I've always dressed up in a goofy costume. My costumes are always pretty good. The past few years I've dressed up as the lunch lady and I help out in the lunchroom at school for the school party. Usually you can't tell who I am if I am going all out. Which I usually do. Since we have all graduated from elementary school we are free from that. It was fun but I won't miss it.

I moved to San Diego in 1987 for almost a year. It happened to be over Halloween. Naturally, we celebrated. We were invited to a party at some swanky house on the beach. Big bucks. I dressed up as a bag lady. I looked great as a bag lady. It was a good costume. Until we got to the party. There must have been 100 plus people there. There was not one bag lady costume, besides me, in the whole place. All of the girls were dressed up as sexy cats, playboy bunnies, sexy brides, there probably was even a sexy bag lady but I didn't know it was a bag lady. My self esteem was going downhill pretty fast. Jack was rubber necking all night and was thoroughly enjoying himself. I have to admit, I won't make that mistake again. Meaning, I won't move to San Diego again.
As Halloween is approaching, my girls are trying to decide what to be. Luckily, they haven't had the desire to dress up in anything sexy. They have inherited my costume thoughts. Hannah is thinking of being a box. Jordan wants to be something gross and scary. Jack, he wants nothing to do with it this year. Fine by me. It is usually cold and snowy anyway.
I'm sure I'll put on something ridiculous and get some good laughs. That's what it's all about to me. Laughing.












The pictures are from Halloween last year.

No comments: