Mountain Life in Colorado: Burr, still cold, but the kids continue to crack me up

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Burr, still cold, but the kids continue to crack me up

    It's cold again.  For the past few days we have gotten out of bed and the temp is not above 20.  It has not been getting much warmer as the days go on.  Our river came out of hibernation for a day or two and it is such a pretty sound when it breaks.  The sound of running river once again.  Now, it's gone back into hibernation and we can't hear it anymore.  I don't think I've ever seen a spring like this.  Blah
     We went to Denver yesterday to pick up Hannah's glasses.  Kind of a last minute thing.  We left the house at 8:30 a.m. for 4-H and didn't get home until around noon.  We listened to the answering machine and there was a message for us saying that her glasses were ready.  I totally was not planning on driving to Denver so I put my head down on the pillow and fell asleep.  I love naps.  It was a good one too.  When I woke up at 2 we decided to drive to Denver for the glasses.  After all, it was cold and snowy here and nice there.  Good call.  It was nice down there and I'm glad we got the glasses.  Hannah is too.  Plus, we did so many errands.  The last time I was in Denver it was with Hannah a week ago.   We stopped at this really cool liquor store called "Tipsies."  It's huge.  It has a wine bar in it, deli, a wine tasting bar with cheese.  Not a small event either.  Their displays are pretty impressive.  They have mannequins everywhere and cool little fake animals that look real.  There is so much to look at and the wine selection is pretty impressive.  Hannah and I spent awhile in that store looking around and having fun.  They have a great candy store in the deli with oak barrels filled with old fashioned candy.  Hannah bought a huge sucker, with her own money.  There is a sitting area with comfy couches and wing back chairs in front of this great fireplace.  The place is nice.  The prices are not bad.
     Yesterday, as we were walking out of Lowes, Hannah gets super excited and starts jumping up and down and she says, rather loudly, "Mom, can we go to the liquor store?"  There were a few people walking past us and the looks I received were pretty good.  I laughed.  "Of course, silly.  We will definitely go to the liquor store."  What will my kids say next?  I love those moments.
     It's like the time Jordan was 3.  She got this blanket from a dear friend of mine when she was born.  Julie, my dear friend, made this blanket.  It had strings sewn on it that were placed about 6" apart throughout the blanket.  Jordan dubbed her blanket "B" and the strings she called her "big ones."  Don't ask me how but she came up with that.  She used to rub the strings on her lips and nose, with her right hand  and suck her pointer finger on her left hand.  It all went together.  She was never without her "B."  We went to the store and I was trying to wean her from bringing "B" to the store.  Not good.  I know this could be a challenge but stupid me, I'm up for it.    She's sitting in the cart, as cute as ever, and she's getting tired.  I proceed to the checkout and unload my groceries and she starts having a meltdown.   I'm almost done.  The checker is scanning, and scanning fast as Jordan is crying and starting to go into huge fit mode.  I'm stressed and digging in my purse for my value card and Jordan yells, at the top of her voice as she throws her head back, "I JUST WANT MY "B" SO I CAN RUB MY BIG ONE ON MY LIPS AND NOSE!"  The checker looks at me and I looked at her and just shrugged. 
     I still laugh every time I think of that moment.  She cried all the way home.  The grocery store is 20 minutes away.  It seemed like 2 hours.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

That's why I love that liquor store-luring in the young ones with candy and a fake zoo. Get 'em started early, I say!

hefr said...

Ha ha Bridgee. (good point though, yikes)