Mountain Life in Colorado: The sound of nothing

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The sound of nothing

     I've been pretty freaked out lately about leaving Teller and Buster.  Buster will be fine.  It's Teller I'm concerned about.  Originally, we thought we'd bring him with us.  After many hours of logistics, it's not possible for this trip.  He'll be fine here, at his home, his domain, with Greg.  Greg has been our tenant for a long time and Teller and him are buds.  He'll be fine. 
     Jack and I were so tired after dinner tonight and the projects are finally getting done.  Carpet is getting put in tomorrow and we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Our possible renter is coming Thursday at 5 to check out the place.  We needed a walk with Teller.  It was getting dark and we knew we needed to get out and walk right then.  I called dibs on telling Teller we were going for a walk which made me look like the good guy.  And boy, did it ever.  Teller almost pee'd himself after he heard me say, "Teller, want to go for a walk?"  You would have thought it was Christmas or something.  So, we put on our down coats, after Jack put his away swearing he would not put it on again until we leave.  Never say never.  We walked down the road to Webster Pass and started up Webster Road.  We ended up going to visit Kurtis and Tracy who were not home.  They had already left for their 2 week raft trip.  We'll see them in Fruita on the 15th when we are camping.  Anyway, we ended up visiting with Christina and Bob who are staying over watching the cats.  When we left it was dark but we could see enough not to step in the puddles.  Trying to stay on the snow was a challenge but it was better than trudging through the mud.  Jack and I were talking about how quiet is was.  I was saying how living where we do it's so quiet you can actually hear it snow.  Falling asleep at night is hard for me when I travel because of all of the noise.  Here, you literally hear nature.  If you're not used to that it could be difficult.  I was reading some blogs last night about people who want to relocate to Costa Rica.  This women was commenting that she wanted to live in a rural area where it is quiet.  The response from an expat was there is nowhere in Costa Rica that is quiet.  This is why.  Even if you are in a rural area, the roosters start at 5am or earlier, dogs start barking, Howler Monkeys are howling, birds are singing.  So true.  I remember all of that, except the monkeys, when we used to take 2 months off and drive  to the tip of Baja.  It was loud in the mornings.   
     A blog I have been following for the past year is written by a women who I admire so much.  She and her husband moved to Costa Rica with their then 10 (or so) year old.  I love her posts.  Just yesterday she posted the morning sounds from her back yard.  It was loud. Beautiful, but loud.  I was commenting to Jack how it's going to be such a change with the different sounds living at the beach.  We will have so many adjustments and the sounds are going to be a biggie.  I can't wait to wake up to those sounds.  Especially the waves.  I hope we will be able to hear them.  Right now, all I can hear is my huge dog and my tired, hard working husband snoring.  They are totally in sync.

No comments: