Mountain Life in Colorado: AARP at Fifty

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

AARP at Fifty


My oldest brother Andy, I have 3, sent an email out today. He turns 50 on Friday. He said, "In 4 days I can start getting all sorts of discounts and special
treatment via an AARP membership." Jack turns 50 in August and I cannot wait. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck to buy him and now I know; he is getting an AARP membership from me. Funny thing, I guarantee, he has no idea what AARP is. If you knew Jack you'd understand.
I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine today and I was telling her about the email from my brother and laughing and saying how Jack is so getting a membership to AARP. Dell, the culligan man, was here working on our reverse osmosis system, so we can actually drink our water from our tap, and he was cracking up telling me to be sure to get the cap with the AARP on it. Good clean fun. Jack won't know what hit him. He was so hoping to be in Costa Rica, surfing, on his 50th. To bad so sad. I really tried to make it so we could fly out after the 22nd of August, which is his birthday, but we have to be in Hayward, Wisconsin by August 26th. We're driving from CO so logistically it would have been pretty tight. Plus, our airfare wouldn't allow us to fly from Costa Rica on the dates I chose so we had to come back on the 19th. Poor Jack. He'll be in Hayward, Wisconsin with all of his in laws. Good thing we are a good time. He's going to be laughing when he gets his AARP membership from me as a birthday gift and we all have to explain it to him while we are in the Midwest. He's got something about the Midwest. He grew up in San Diego and just doesn't get it. We Midwesterners are hardy and never complain. Californians do. It drives him crazy how tough I am. He he he. Just kidding. Jack is the strongest man I know, only emotionally he can't hack it. He bitches about the cold constantly. He's lived here for over 25 years. Give me a break. That's where we differ and I chalk that up to growing up where I did and how I did. I wasn't spoiled. He was(his words). He was spoiled by the weather and by how he was brought up (apparently). But, he is definitely the strongest man I know and has a 6 pack and it pisses me off. He's so good looking and only gets more and more good looking as he ages. His face is getting those rugged good lines where they should. He can run a marathon, still, no problem, he can climb these mountains around our home like a goat. I've got him out aged easily. DAMN IT! We are celebrating our 20th anniversary tomorrow. How did that creep up on us? However, I don't qualify for AARP in August. He does. Nanny, Nanny, Boo, Boo!!!!!!

No comments: