Mountain Life in Colorado: Jordan and the Beach Cruiser

Monday, August 9, 2010

Jordan and the Beach Cruiser

We almost made it, the entire summer in Costa Rica, without anyone getting hurt. Almost. Jordan took off this morning to visit Idan, who crashed on his bike yesterday. After seeing all of us riding and realizing how easy it is to go do things once you have a bike he asked Jack if he could make his bike ride able. Jack went over there a couple of days ago, pulled it out of the garage and did a few things to it. He got it to run and it only had a front brake so Jack made Idan promise to be careful and he’d need to get a brake cable in order to have a back break. Yesterday, he was riding to get that brake cable and was going down a hill and slammed on the only brake, which is his front one. He flipped over and crashed and got a bunch of road rash. Jordan wanted to see how he was doing and headed over. She was gone the entire day. Jack, Hannah and I swam in the pool and enjoyed the day here doing some chores and we got to thinking we should go and see how Jordan is doing. It looked like rain any minute with the sky becoming dark. Hannah and I were upstairs getting changed and Jordan came screaming in yelling for me. Her leg was bloody and she was lying on the floor crying. She was coming down the hill to the first bridge, the one that always floods over when it rains hard, and since she was on the beach cruiser, had to brake with her feet. She braked too hard and crashed and landed in the dirt on the bridge. Thank God she didn’t fly off the bridge into the creek. It’s quite a drop. She was hurt, bleeding and crying and now she had to put her chain back on since it fell off. She put it together and rode home. Once she saw me the tears really flew and we got her all fixed up. She banged herself up pretty good. She’s going to be sore for awhile. I’m glad she didn’t hurt her head since we ride without a helmet. I still shake my head at that one. And shudder. We have that awesome first aid kit, if you remember; I even took a picture of the contents. It’s got everything in there. She is now in her jammies and its 4 p.m. Looks like an early bedtime tonight.
Jack and I got our plans for leaving wrapped up today. We lined Wilson up to pick us up here on the 17th at 10a.m. He recommended a place for us to stay 10 min away from the airport. I called them today and booked a room. It sounds wonderful and the pictures of the property are beautiful. They call it a B&B so it includes breakfast. We’ll spend 2 nights there and do some sightseeing around the area. I’m now looking forward to it. They’ll give us a ride to the airport the morning of the 19th and we’re off. Glad that’s settled. As I was making my reservation I was speaking to him in Spanish. He kept asking me what I was saying and as I was spelling my name out, in Spanish, he kept asking me to repeat myself. I finally asked him what language he speaks, since I was pretty sure I was saying things correctly, and he replies, “Dutch, German, and English.” Well, say no more. I can’t speak German or Dutch but English, we could be on the same page with. It was a good laugh. He seems like a nice guy. I told him I worked at a B&B and gave him the website and told him to check it out.
We’re sitting under the gazebo, citronella incense burning and having a cocktail. We are watching the rain and it is filling up the pool very fast. The frogs are coming out as well as the crazy centipedes or millipedes or whatever they are. The rain brings out a whole different species of things. It’s cool to watch things come out when it rains. I’ll bring an insect book the next time I come here. It’s a necessity here. When we had internet at the casita I was constantly on it looking up things. Here, I can’t do that. It’s driving me nuts not to have an encyclopedia at my fingertips. So, as I type this, I’ll have to post it sometime tomorrow when we get to the Mauna Loa. They have really been great to us. Thanks Gustavo and Muriel.

No comments: