Mountain Life in Colorado: All in a Day

Saturday, July 10, 2010

All in a Day













We woke up this morning to a note from Jack saying,
"rode to lot with 4 banana trees. I'm planting them." We ate and I talked the girls into riding out there to see the progress. Hannah and I were looking forward to it but Jordan was not. I made her go because she hadn't seen it yet and Hannah and I rode out the other day. We were riding on the back road and Jack comes over the hill. Bummer. Well, he didn't want to turn around and ride back so he and Jordan rode back to the casita and Hannah and I went on to the lot. It was a nice ride. We got there about 45 minutes later and Jose Luis was working and the fence is finished. He also cleared all of the dead bushes out and Jack planted the 4 banana trees. Things are looking great there. Check out the pictures.
Can't you just imagine Jack with 4 banana trees on his back riding his bike? Who would've thunk????
As we were riding back, we were very close to home and came across these 4 cows, one being a calf. That said the black cow was having none of us and started to moo at us and snort. Thank God that driveway was there because we had to ride up it and out of the street. We were just hoping that they weren't going to take a turn up this road. Then we would have been scared. Needless to say, these wayward cows kept on the main road. I'm sure some rancher will be searching for them tomorrow. Hannah's adrenaline was pumping pretty hard after that. It spooked her.
Not as much as our new bug spooked me though. Jack decided that I needed a break from the kitchen tonight so we all put on our raincoats and walked to Las Olas for dinner. It was still light so we knew we would be returning in the dark. Headlamps in our pockets and we were off. It was muddy since it rained hard all afternoon. When it rains that hard it's amazing what comes out of the cracks. We got home after our muddy walk home and I went to the bedroom to get into my jammies and looked up on the wall and yikes. This bug in the picture was huge. Jenny June, if you still read my blog you did a fine job of identifying the creature. Can you identify this?? Please don't tell me it is a cockroach. I don't think it is. I had to put my glasses up next to it and take this picture to give you an idea of the size. That is Jordan's hand next to it too. I realized it wouldn't attack after we tested the waters with a few things first. The other bug I found in the shower yesterday. It's cool as well. I made Jack catch the huge thing and take it outside. Usually when I ask him to capture a bug or spider or whatever, it always, always escapes. So when I asked him to get rid of it please I had my doubts. I was so afraid that he would lose it and it would crawl on me in the middle of the night and terrorize me. I'm sure it already has.


I wish I could write and show you every single detail of our days here. I just tell the stories of some parts of the day. Every minute is so unreal somehow. It's hard to explain. I would love to have a webcam on my head all day everyday to show you how it is living here. If I could I would write it all out but I couldn't possibly put into words what we are experiencing. It is truly an experience and I am so happy we are able to live this life.
Time to do the once over in my room for critters and go to bed.
It's late. 8:20p.m.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Your lot looks great! Love the banana trees and new fence! Do you have to worry about squatters when you leave or does everyone know now that it is owned by you?

Anonymous said...

Of course I still read it!! I wait every day for your updates and I love them. My research team and I will begin our bug investigation immediately and be back to you soon.

Where are you staying at Arenal?

Sammy has been surfing up a storm at Playa Dominical. Her camp counselor puts the pics up on Facebook. The program is called ISLS Teen Spanish Camp if you want to check it out. You click on the Facebook page and you can see the photos.

We still miss Avellanas and Cabinas Las Olas. I can't imagine the amount of rain you are getting.

Keep up the reports. Our whole family reads them and we love them. :)

Jenny