Mountain Life in Colorado: Arenal

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Arenal






Saturday morning we woke up after a great nights sleep. I had nothing crawling on me at night, I didn't have to swish a scorpion off of me during the night, I wasn't worried about cockroaches the size of a hand in my room, I didn't even put in my earplugs. It was quiet with the exception of the volcano erupting during the night which was just plain cool. I was rested and ready for the day. Our first night there we drove up the road towards the base of the volcano where the national park is. I had read that you can just pull over and watch the lava flow down the mountain when it's active. We drove to a point where there were people sitting on the side of the road watching. It literally is like going to watch fire works. People bring blankets, coolers, and sit and wait and watch in the dark. Unfortunately the lava never flowed but it was a good experience none the less. As we parked I had read the sign for the Arenal Observatory Lodge and I had read a lot of that place and wanted to go back and see it. That was my only request for being in Arenal. So Saturday morning after a breakfast of cereal, granola, fruit and some brewed Costa Rican coffee, which we had on our little deck with the birds, we drove up to the Observatory Lodge and there was a small fee, $4/person, to get through the gate. We parked and walked up to the deck of the lodge which has the best view of the volcano. Unfortunately, it was cloudy and you couldn't see it. The grounds were gorgious and they had some hikes around. We walked across the hanging bridge to where there more rooms and the pool and Jordan wasn't into hiking so we left her sitting by the pool with her book and took off. We wanted to see the waterfall. the signs said do not hike with flip flops. Make sure you have the proper hiking gear. I was in a dress and wearing my Chaco's, Hannah had on $1 flip flops from Old Navy and Jack was in his flip flops too. We looked at each other and said "good to go". We were on the trail and the only thing I kept thinking was this trail is muddy and rocky which isn't a problem. But what if there are snakes and that is why there are the warnings about the shoes? We didn't see any but I was sure looking. The falls took us 20 min or so to get there. Very impressive and pretty. We took the long way out for a little more adventure and saw another hanging bridge. We got back to Jordan sitting contentedly by the pool chatting away with a mom and dad while their 2 younger kids did their thing. Jordan said the Mom had so many questions. I'm sure she did. Like, "where are your parents?? You're NOT staying here?? They just left you here while they went for a hike?? You are in Costa Rica for how long??" We are not the normal family, I'll give you that.

Anyway, we walked around the grounds for awhile admiring the flowers and smells and birds and never did get a looksee at the volcano since it was cloudy all day. But well worth the drive up there. We went back to La Fortuna and did some souviner shopping. We hit EVERY store. The girls had never really experencied shopping for souviners like that and they were throughly enjoying it. Jack was patient which kudos to him. He's normally not. We didn't buy anything. The woodwork is so pretty though. The next day we did go back to get Hannah this carved sloth that was so neat. She was extactic. Jordan got to get a little bracelet. Now they have something to remember Arenal by. The next morning Jack and Hannah went to the local Panadaria (bakery) and got some goodies for breakfast and we sat one more time on our deck with the birds and then left by 9:30. We got back in lightning speed and didn't have to return the car until Monday morning by 8. So, we went grocery shopping and drove to the lot again and got to our new digs by 2:30. Liz was surprised to see us so soon. I felt like not being in their way because they were trying to get out of town the next morning and so I suggested to Jack we leave for a few hours and get out of the way. We told the kids to wear a swim suit and we were going on one last adventure. We drove to Las Tortugas, which is such a special place for us since it was the first place we ever stayed at in Costa Rica and had a great time with our friends the Hoods. So we got there and the kids were screaming and so excited. Avellana, the dog and Ron, the cat were still there. We had a margarita while the kids swam in the pool and the same staff was there. It was good to be there. We ended the night with dinner at Kiki's which is the place we used to walk to in the pitch dark from our apartment we rented there. We got back to the house at 9 or so and went to bed in our new place.
I can't even tell you how comfortable it is. It's new for one, just under 2 years construction so everything is new. The bed was perfect, the ceiling fan is quiet, and my bedside light is so awesome. To bad I whipped through all of my books. I'm going to read Jordan and Hannah's now.
We woke up the next morning, Monday, to the house to ourselves and Jack left to return the car at 7:30. He walked/ran/swam the entire way back from Tamarindo. I'll elaborate later. It's worth it's own blog.
We never left the house yesterday. We swam, ate, played pool, swam, played foosball, swam. It rained all day and being in this house is such a treat. We grilled hamburgers on the grill by the pool for dinner and after dinner we hunkered down ON THE COUCH for a little t.v.
What did I ever do to deserve this life?? I thank whomever for letting me live it the way I am. My parents for one. Had I not received their support in everything I chose to do with my life it probably would be different. They were/are totally awesome and supportive in all of the choices I have made, lifestyle wise. Thank you for that.

2 comments:

joe hall said...

Boy nice to have you writeing life was quite boreing the last couple of days ! It's been quite fun liveing precariously through the Bussy's on there summer adventure!You have become quite the little journalist!! Impressive! Say hi to my BFF to jackarino and the girls! Sounds like to much fun!!

hefr said...

JOE!!!!
Great to hear from you. I'll say hello to your new BFF, jackarino for sure. He's a surfing fool. Can't wait to see you in August.