Mountain Life in Colorado: A Perfect Sunny Day

Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Perfect Sunny Day






Yesterday was the day I was so wanting to have. After some serious rain for a few days the sun was shining, all day, and it was a party at the beach. There were so many happy beach goers.
We got up and met Jack down at the beach by 9am since he was already down there surfing. We walked down to 'dead tree' and set up camp. Liz and Bart and their 2 renters from Brasil walked up and we all moved to another spot down the beach. The mood was great. Everyone was happy to see the sun, with no threat of rain. It was great conversation with our friends.

There is a rivermouth down the beach a little way and Jack likes to surf down there, along with many other surfers. The waves break over rocks and it gets good when it breaks just right. Anyway, there have been crocodiles that come out of that river INTO the ocean. They are huge crocs and average 8-10 feet long. We were talking about it yesterday because a croc was spotted right in front of 'dead tree' a while back, where we like to swim and surf. The locals always warn that if you see a "log" in the water get the heck out because it's probably not a log and it's a croc instead. Now, I don't know about you but if I saw an 8-10 foot crocodile swim next to me in the ocean that would be the end of my trip. For one, literally, the end because I would be lunch for that monster, for two, I can guarantee, if I lived through it I would not go out in the water again. Not seeing one was enough for me. I was sweating like a pig and had to go swimming. Never mind shuffling my feet in the sand to get the stingrays out of the way. I was on the lookout for swimming "logs".

I'm anxious to see our lot. The fence is finished. Jack says it looks great. They made a little gate for us too. Jack went over to talk to Elliot about planting trees and what some good fruit trees would be to plant before we leave. We have nixed the idea of palm trees for now. We have no irrigation on the property and when it's dry season here starting in November we have no way to water them. It is dry, dry, dry, which is hard to believe. So, Elliot gave some names of indigenous trees in this area which won't need any water during dry season. He told us to take some off of his property and put them in the ground on our lot. Jack just left with 4 banana trees in his basket and backpack and rode to the lot to plant them. I may have to have some oatmeal and ride out there.

No comments: