Mountain Life in Colorado: Tico's and their Machetes

Friday, July 9, 2010

Tico's and their Machetes




It's a pretty common sight to see a bike like the one in the photo. Most have a machete attached to it. If it's not attached to the bike somehow, the person riding the bike is carrying it. The first time I was riding my bike down the road and came up to a Tico, full of mud and sweat, usually built like a brick shit house, carrying a machete, it scared me a little. Of course my imagination started working wonders and I was imagining to much. I rode by the dude and murmered a meek little "hola". He just waved his machete at me and replied, "Pura Vida". It's now something I'm used to seeing. These guys with machetes walking or riding along just going to chop down the jungle. One day, we were getting a ride from Elliot to Tamarindo for some groceries and he waves to a Tico that he knew. The Tico stopped us and asked if he could have a ride a mile down the road. Jack and I are in the back of the car and Elliot and his friend are in the front. The Tico get's in and he's got a machete the size of me. He lays that thing on the floor and I'm careful not to rub my ankle up against it and accidently sever it off. When he got out of the car he takes his machete with him and we all admire how strong this guy is. It takes a lot of work to swing one of those things, I'm sure. The funniest sight we saw was this group of workers we always pass if we're riding out to the lot. They all travel by bike. There are about 5 of them. They all have on long pants, mud boots up to their knees, long sleeve shirts. I am riding by in shorts and a jog bra and still sweating like a pig, and the funny part, all of them have helmets on. Usually they wear their helmets OVER a cowboy hat or a baseball cap. But the hat remains under the helmet. Now, I'm all for helmets, but when I see the size of the machete they are balancing on the handlebars while trying to ride the bike over bumpy roads, I'm sure the helmet won't help if they fall and impale themself with their tool. I have to get a picture of those guys. It's classic.

Next week we have a huge change coming our way. Our last night staying here is on the 14th. We pack our bags and leave the 15th. We have rented a car and pick it up on the 14th in the afternoon. We'll bring most of our things over to Liz and Barts and then we drive to Arenal for 4 days. Arenal is an active volcano that is pretty incredible. We'll stay there for the weekend and drive back on the 18th, return the car, and move into our new digs. It's going to be quite the change from here. I'm going to miss it here. We have had a great time and given the bugs, noise, heat, I'd stay here, most definitely, again. It's been so entertaining and I hope we have the chance to do it again. But, time to move on and start a new chapter in the Costa Rica experience. I'm sure it'll be just as entertaining in a new way.

A very belated "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" Gugger. I thought of you on Monday. I hope you did something fun.

We need to take advantage of the sun while it's shining right now. Time to hit the beach.

No comments: