Mountain Life in Colorado: Wed, July 28- Jack and the Car

Friday, July 30, 2010

Wed, July 28- Jack and the Car

Jack took Barts car today to get propane and deliver our 20ft power pole to our lot. Bart ran the car out of gas so it’s running on fumes and I’m not sure he’ll make it to the gas station. He said he ran it out of gas and to get to a gas station first thing first if we needed to take the car for any reason. Otherwise, we aren’t suppose to drive the car. Fair enough. But, the gas station is 30k away. We all got in the car to go with because, of course, it sounded like a great adventure. Jack pulled the car out of the garage, drove it up to the gate and it stalled. He couldn’t get it started as Bart had said there was some funkyness to it. Sounds like our plow truck you need to start with a screwdriver. Being Jack, I knew he was capable of figuring this out dilemma . He got super stressed and decided to go for a swim. I took the girls to check emails and do computer stuff at the Mauna Loa. When we got back the car was still sitting in the same spot. Not good. I made a suggestion, which suggestions from me are usually not taken very well. Is that a wife thing?? Do other wives make suggestions to their husbands and get the eye roll every time?? Usually, I make suggestions because they are good suggestions. Granted, I know nothing about cars but my gut sure tells me a lot and I usually follow my gut. My suggestion came from my gut and it was impossible for me to not say anything. So, I suggested Jack do such and such to the car. BIG eye roll, I walked away and he sat there for a little while. He walked to the car and BAM! It started right up. He followed my suggestion and even told me he did what I said and thanked me. HUGE! So he loaded up the propane tank again and the other stuff he needed to place the power pole in the ground. He said, “c’mon girls, let’s go!” “We’re staying.” I said. Given the fact that he was stressed as it was I couldn’t imagine loading us all up only to possibly run out of gas in the middle of nowhere or have the car stall again and not be able to get it going. He can do all of that perfectly on his own thank you very much. Secretly, I know he was relieved to not have us tag along.
It’s been a perfect, cool, rainy, quiet day here. The girls and I had a book uploaded on the computer so we all crawled on my bed, grabbed a pillow and started listening to it. It’s a Judy Blum book which are always entertaining. No it’s not “Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret.” They can read that alone. I fell sound asleep and I woke up to the girls screaming “Look who’s here!!” It was Liad and Idan. Their mom dropped them off at the gate and drove away. Just as the girls went out to say hello it started to pour. Liz and Bart made it very, very clear that we are not to have ANYONE over and I totally understand that. Now, what am I suppose to do? The boy’s are here, no ride, it’s pouring and the girls are so excited to see them. They are extremely great kids and of course I didn’t say, “sorry guys, you have to leave in this rain and don’t come back.” I made the decision to let them stay for the afternoon and they are all having a great time. Playing cards, swimming in the rain, and just hanging out talking. They wanted to play pool but I said they couldn’t. Meanie, I am. I feel so guilty right now for them being here after us promising we wouldn’t have anyone here. It’s just the way it is today. No harm is being done except the fact that I broke a promise. I really feel like that I had no choice and I wasn’t about to send them away in the rain. That said, I feel better and I made a choice I felt was up to me at the moment. Like I said, they are good kids and I’m glad my girls have them friends. I still think we are great house sitters. Kind of like my great friend Joe Hall. He’s the easiest houseguest anyone could ask for. Plus, he fixes things. I don’t ask, he just feels compelled to fix all of the stuff that we have let go for so long. Every time I switch on the lights witch on the stairs I have Joe to thank. When I get a glass of ice cold filtered water from my fridge, I have Joe to thank. Liscence plate bolted down, thanks Joe. Make a call using my hands free, Joe, again. Thanks Joe.
I think we’re about to lose power. The lightning and thunder is amazing and it’s pouring. I am on my computer blogging with Microsoft Word. I’ll just post it when I get the internet tomorrow.
Jack is not back yet and it’s 4p.m. Am I worried? Nah. Not yet. I will be if it gets dark and he’s not here.

4 comments:

joe hall said...

Wow always nice to get press but your makeing me bluss!! Say Hi to the girls and Jack!!

hefr said...

Hola Joe.
Hannah mentioned how she misses you. I told her we'd see you in August. Hopefully we will hook up for dinner. Glad you're still reading the blog.

Ludog15365 said...

Whoa, whoa whoa! In the interest of journalistic integrity, I feel compelled to point out that Joe had no clue how to fix your light switch dilemma. He did however, have the good sense to ask someone knowledgeable in the pesky ways of electricity. It's not what you know, it's knowing whom to call.

Carry on.

Love,

Pete

hefr said...

Ha Ha Pete,
Great to hear from you. And you're right. I gave Joe all of the bragging rights to fixing my light switch. Little did I mention that he had to call you in Chicago and you walked him through the whole process. All in all, it was YOU who turned me on.
Shame on me