Mountain Life in Colorado: The Bug in Hannah's Ear

Monday, July 5, 2010

The Bug in Hannah's Ear

I was drifting off to sleep last night and, as always, one of the girls comes into the room, turns on the overhead light because there is a problem. It was Hannah this time and she can't sleep because she thinks a bug crawled in her ear and is flapping around in there. Being my Mother's daughter I go into "what if" mode. What if we need to get her to a Dr.? What if there are no doctors close by (which, I'm pretty sure there are not)? What if there is ACTUALLY a bug in her ear? What if she goes insane like the girl who had a beetle in her ear on the show "HOUSE" and starts screaming uncontrollably right now? What if it's that darn creature from the girls' bathroom who has been M.I.A. for nearly a week now. Could that thing even get into her little ear? UGH. The questions I have going on in my head make me feel like I've got a bug in my ear too.
Hannah goes to our bathroom and asks me where the 'ski tips' are. She is queen of this. Saying the wrong thing for something. I know what she is talking about because it happens all the time. I'm not sure sticking a Q-tip in her ear is a good thing but I let her, knowing there really isn't a bug in there, and she is digging around and itching her ear and asks me to look inside her ear. I do and I see the tiny freckle that is right in her ear and I say, "nothing in there". Good enough for her. She decides there isn't a bug in her ear either. We all make our way back to bed, Jordan too because she had to get up to see the action. Hannah sticks the Q-tip in her ear for one last swoop and her eyes get huge and she say's, "MOM, the creature had a baby!"
Here, IN MY BATHROOM, that we all share, is a mini creature. I can't say baby creature because that would give you the impression that creature #2 is small. I almost started to cry because up until this point my bathroom was 'safe'. Even though I still grab my towel with just my pointer finger and thumb and shake it out, even though I look on the floor before I walk in there just in case, even though there are geckos on the wall, good thing because they are probably eating the scorpions. My bathroom was 'safe'. Now it's not safe because the creature from Jordan and Hannah's bathroom probably made it's way to my bathroom and that long walk made it lose some weight but by today it'll be full size again. Only creature #2 was much more spunky. The original creature just sat there and didn't do anything until Jordan would blow on it and it would move at lightning speeds behind the mirror. Creature #2 was moving his whips like he was hunting for spiders and bugs. Those whips never stopped moving. They are like 2" long.
Jordan and Hannah skipped to bed and I was left in by bathroom staring at this #2 (creature, ha ha) just not tired anymore. I turned off the light as I said, "goodnight creature #2" and went to bed. I was back to pulling the sheet up to my chin after I had graduated to the sheet just pulled up to my chest. It took me awhile to get to sleep. And, as usual, I woke up at Amityville horror hour just because that's my schedule. I'm itching, like always, and wondering what I'm getting bit by and itching and finally I fall asleep again. I slept in until 8 this morning. A good, deep sleep until 8. I am rested and ready to conquer the creature in my bathroom because if I leave it there I'm going to be a trainwreck. I like the relocation idea best. I will get a pair of gloves today and figure this out.
To be continued:

No comments: