Mountain Life in Colorado: 501 Spanish Verbs

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

501 Spanish Verbs






Today was interesting. We are starting to gather our things after everything being spewed out over the past month or so. We are trying to dry out our shoes, which is nearly impossible for the running shoes Jack and I brought. The Keens are inside drying now and they dry faster. I wish I would have purchased those for myself and left the running shoes at home. Live and learn. However, when I blogged about spending a bundle on my Chaco flip flops and was wondering why on earth I would drop that kind of money for flip flops, well, I'm so glad I did. Jack has already gone through 2 pairs, luckily he found a pair at the grocery store so he's on his 3rd pair, and the cheap ones that the girls have are almost done. Mine are still like brand new and they are beefy. I do EVERYTHING in them and I have even ridden out to the lot with my Chaco's on. They are great. A good buy for sure. We headed down to the beach to catch the beautiful weather. We did our usual. Swim, surf, boogie board, and watch the clouds get dark overhead. When it starts to lightning that's when we get a move on it to the bikes to ride back. The storm was kind of circling around us in all directions so it was hard to tell what was going to happen. The clouds inland were black and moving towards us but the wind was coming straight from the West. Then, the sea was black and the storm was moving towards us from the ocean. It was a mad dash to Lola's for shelter. It was raining so hard the last 400 yards or so and it hurt getting pelted by raindrops. All of these people were huddled under the only roof at Lola's. The mood was festive and we all had our cameras out to capture this storm. It was coming down so hard. We usually would hop on our bikes and deal with the rain but today was different. We we not going anywhere. So we ordered beers and french fries and hunkered down for awhile. The videos were of that moment. We were actually cold and I didn't have anything dry. So we were wrapped up in sopping wet sarongs. It was better than nothing believe it or not. I couldn't sit there in just my bathing suit. I did have board shorts on and that helped some too. Poor Hannah, she was only in her bathing suit and I remembered I put a dress in the back pack for anyone to wear and she put that on. Toasty.
Jordan had had enough of being cold. She wanted to ride back and waited for a slight break and went for it. Smart girl. We had just ordered some fries and waited about 20 min for them. We were having a good time just looking at everyone in such awe at the weather. It was very impressive. We loved it. After awhile we decided to ride home and so we paid and off we went. The road completely changed. There were rivers where there were none. The bridge flooded and as Hannah and I came upon it I didn't know if we should cross it or not with our bikes. Jack was behind us so I suggested we wait for him and make the call. We really had no choice. How else do we get home? He rode up to us looking at the river coming over the road and started to laugh. "We have to go for it" he said. I told him, "you first". He did and I said I was going to take my $60 Chaco's off in case they got washed away. Glad I did. It was raging. I walked through that thing barefoot, pushing my bike and Hannah was waiting on the other side for us to give her the O.K. So I thought. She was carrying 2 boogie boards bungeed to her bike and starts across the flowing river right behind me. It was a sight. I didn't have time to set my bike down and help her before she decided to cross. I was snapping pictures left and right. Another funny moment we captured on camera. We made it home and I heated up some coffee after taking my first hot shower in Costa Rica since we've been here. I actually dug out a fleece from a suitcase that is stashed under the bed and put it on. The wetness of the day was making me so chilled. We had a peaceful afternoon in the casita playing cards, watching TV and reading. There were some good movies on TNT and we watched 2. I'm dreading bedtime. Here we were in the "comfort" of our double bed last night, sleeping, and all of a sudden Jack yells at the top of his lungs, "OUCH,!@#%#. WHAT THE $#@# WAS THAT? OMG!!!! He was stung by a scorpion. At 11 o'clock at night. I still had the whole night to go. Why couldn't that have happened at 5 o'clock in the morning when it's almost time to get up anyway? I grabbed my headlamp from my makeshift night stand and there was that bad boy scorpion. I knocked it to the floor and grabbed my book, "501 Spanish Verbs", from my makeshift nightstand, and threw it on the scorpion. It squished him dead. So, once again, it was a sleepless night thinking Mrs. scorpion was still in bed and she was coming after me next. I even put lavander in the bed last night thinking that would keep things away. I need to remember that when something is crawling on me at night, or anytime for that matter, do not try to smush it dead against your skin. Jack didn't brush it off of him and instead swatted it and that's why he got stung. I'm glad he didn't brush it off of him because he would have brushed it right onto me. 2 more nights of this. Why will I miss this place???? Because I just will, that's why.
So now it's way past my bedtime. It's 9:30. And I'm thinking if I stay awake a little longer I'll be sleepier for bedtime and I'll sleep. Think it'll work? No. But I will lay awake and think of all of the critters I won't miss. Tomorrow we pick up our rental car and get the power pole delivered to our lot. We were suppose to get it delivered today but it didn't happen. Now, I'm going to have to go pick up the car and drive it from Tamarindo to here. I have never driven in Costa Rica before. It sounds funny being nervous to drive but I am a little nervous. Plus, I'll be in the car all by myself and have to be brave. A big girl moment for me tomorrow. I'm glad I got used to the roads on my bike and know exactly where I'm going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in your move and have a blast at Arenal! I can't wait to hear all about that one! I like that water fall that Hannah basically portaged! It has been pretty warm here lately- this has been one of the better summers for weather, except for the occasional snow storm up high! HA!
Deb