Mountain Life in Colorado: The First Day of School

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The First Day of School

If only I had a hidden camera. I could have captured the emotions that were flaring from both of my girls this morning. It was their first day of school. It was a rude awakening at 5:30 a.m. Welcome to reality my family. Even the dog was bumming. He put his paw over his eyes and didn't budge. Seriously.
We were out of the house just before 7 so we could get to school nice and early. Jordan wasn't even registered so we needed to get classes for her and lockers, etc. It was another whirlwind in our lives, which we seem to be used to. Hannah was a train wreck when we got to school. She was far from crying but she was so nervous. I've never seen her like that. Not even at her swim meets which make her shake. Jordan was fine until her first class started and we didn't even have a schedule for her. We sat in the counselors office while we picked classes out. I could see Jordan's anxiety level climbing and sure enough, she got tears in her eyes and looked at me. I winked at her and told her she would be great once she got to class. She didn't cry either, which is huge for her. I left feeling all sad and I hated the whole process and as I was walking out of school I was saying to myself "what an ordeal."
I had five minutes to get to yoga. I was super psyched to get back to that class. I walked in five minutes late. I am never late for yoga. I'm never late for anything. I walked in and put my mat down and went and changed. By the time I sat down on my mat they were doing the opening chant and I took a deep, long breath and settled in. It was a great class. I feel wonderful.
I hope the kids have a nice first day. It will be interesting picking them up.

No comments: