Mountain Life in Colorado: The Rain

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Rain

It's been raining since yesterday. Today we experienced our first full day of inside weather. Actually, Jack and I rode down to the local store to get groceries. We came back with a loaf of French bread, a loaf of bread ( the only loaf not white and it was expensive), a thing to make Tang (our treat for the girls since they've never even heard of Tang), margarine (that killed me), a season packet of chicken broth (MSG), cookies (Jack has such a sweet tooth), and a 6 pack of beer (my dessert). Our diet is lacking my usual Vitamin Cottage stuff but it's ok. I am not beating myself up to much about it. I know that it's only temporary. The salt thing is still killing me. I cannot find sea salt and I can't get to Tamarindo to find it on my own time. The salt here is just not salt. Don't know what it is but it's not salt. It's like a salt substitute. But not. Who know's? Not complaining it's just very interesting trying to shop without a car and with the little stores we are given. Time to make a trip to the big super mercado on bikes if the rain stops. If it doesn't we will make the trip anyway. It's kind of fun riding in the rain. Everything is done in the rain. It rains this time of year.
As we were riding down our road to the store today the 2nd bridge going out of the place is no longer a bridge. It's now a river you drive THROUGH! Crazy. I wouldn't ride my bike through it the first time and Jack convinced me to ride over the bridge, which is actually through the river, on the way back. Nothing reached up and grabbed my ankle and I didn't fall. It was a huge success. We stopped at the Mauna Loa on the was back from the store and had a couple of beers by the pool and talked about what we would like to accomplish with our lot while we are here. Jack has really made some progress and yesterday he met our neighbors who are in the middle of construction on a structure. They are from France and Jack seemed to like the guy. Everyone is getting scammed here and it's hard to know who to trust. He and the guy exchanged stories and got to talking. Turns out the guy was super helpful on where to get trees, steel, etc. Jack wants to order a bunch of palm trees for the lot to be planted at $3/per tree. I thought that was a good deal. If not and anyone is reading this let us know. We hopefully will order them, delivered in 2 weeks. It'll be great shade and add so much. I was also admiring these trees here that are everywhere and they look like umbrellas. They are great for rain and shade. I have to identify them and show them on the blog. They're beautiful trees. Of course, a couple of fruit trees are in order as well. It'll be interesting to see what we actually do get accomplished given the fact that it's all on Tico time. Tico time is interesting. Take a deep breath and just let it all go. It'll get done manana. Or sometime. It's great.

3 comments:

jan said...

how big is your property hef?

it's been raining her quite a bit, very stormy, cloud bustin', lightening crackin', thunder boomin' weather. I love it, not so good for all of the grad parties.

ps. I walked a 5K today. lol

Lynne said...

Hello! You make reference to your "lot" in your blogs, you must own land in CR? Do you hope to build on it someday?

The creature totally freaks me out...gives me the heebeejeebees! You are all very brave!

hefr said...

Jan and Lynne,
We bought a half acre about 4 years ago and we hope to get a structure started on it this summer. One of the reasons we came down for the whole summer was to get something done with it. You need to be present when building down here and we knew it would be impossible if we were in CO trying to get things done. It's a great lot. It's close to town and 6 miles inland. It was definitely worth it.