Mountain Life in Colorado: Hannah on a Surf Board

Friday, June 18, 2010

Hannah on a Surf Board

Hannah is surfing. Whitewater anyway. She was so excited about it too. Here's the video. I need to work on my video taking.
The pigs name is Lolita. This restaurant/bar is right on the beach. It's called Lola's and is famous down here. We ride here on our bikes and park them and either walk down the beach or hang out right in front. If you walk down the beach a little there is a huge sandy area where there are no rocks. Great for beginner surfing and boogie boarding and swimming. In front of the restaurant is more rocky and the current is stronger. But we like it in front of Lola's too. It's all good. We usually end the day with a beer at this same table you see the picture. We rode our bikes up yesterday and the owner came up to Jack and said, "there's my bike riders." He say's he has seen us all over riding our bikes. He shook Jack's hand and introduced himself. He's from The Netherlands and is super nice. He told us to park our bikes behind his kitchen for more security. It's nice to have someone watching out for us. He told us the bikes are fine usually where we park them but if we walk down the beach, which we often do, he'd rather see our bikes put behind his kitchen. That way they are sure not to get stolen. It would be tragic to have those things ripped off. The video of the pig is just a neighbors pig. There used to be a great big huge pig here named Lola. That pig was giant. Lola was so big and her little legs could barely hold her up. They wobbled something terrible and she would lay in the sand and the waves would crash up over her. I'll post a picture of the original Lola later. This pig, we thought, was Lola's offspring but the owner said it's not. It's just a different pig and they named her Lolita. Lolita loves the water too. Can't say I've ever seen pigs play in the surf. It's a sight to see. I was in bed at 6:00 last night. It wasn't even dark yet. I swear, this entire country goes to sleep before 8pm and wakes up at 5am. People who know what a night owl I am and how I love to sleep in would be amazed at my change in sleeping times. I'm up with the monkeys. Jack usually makes the coffee by 5 and goes surfing and I get out of bed at 5:30 and enjoy my coffee listening to the wildlife. It's amazing the sounds. I'd love to see every single thing that makes a noise. Plus the occasional stuff that drops out of the trees and lands on the roof or the ground. It's crazy. They're like bombs.As I was looking online a few months ago for places to stay here I ran across this website for the Mauna Loa in Playa Avellanas. Another guy, Jack met him a few years ago in Tamarindo and stayed at his place when he came down here solo, told him about this place called Las Olas. We took our bikes down the road to check these places out and I'm so glad we did. Both are spectacular. The Mauna Loa is super nice with a pool and little casitas and Liz, the owner with her husband, was so nice. She spoke beautiful English and they have a separate house with a pool. I'm writing this because I would recommend this place for anyone looking for a convenient, nice, clean hotel. The grounds were beautiful and they had lot's to do for kids. Besides the pool, they have ping pong, foosball, tv, all in an outdoor area by the pool. Everything is outdoors. We asked her if we could bring the kids back and have lunch and swim and she was more than happy for us to come back. Las Olas was beautiful as well. This place was covered with trees so you felt as though you were entering a wonderland forest. They have a nice restaruant and they have an interesting "path" to the beach. The beach is accessable only by this wooden bridge that is built over swamp land. The bridge is long and a bit scary to walk on. I kept thinking what if one of these boards gave way and you'd go crashing down into the swamp. I'll get video of it for you so you know what I'm talking about. The ocelot won't leave me alone. She keeps crawling on my laptop and she just want's to chew on my fingers. Here she is on Jordan's lap. More later. It's a grocery store day. Time to fuel up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job Hannah! I could never surf like that! Jordan how was that Ocelot!? Como es tu espanol? My mom, dad and i miss all of you. Not much has gone on except I got top braces.

de Tori

Unknown said...

Hi Heather, Jack, Jordan, & Hannah,

Happy Birthday Jordan! Just got caught up on reading the blog since I saw you at Patty's. Wow! What great stories and adventures you are having. You shouldn't have posted the "creature" picture, now I'll never choose to go to CR! No way, no how! I bet that creature has relatives down there in every establishment. Hey, can you recieve mail? A package? What do you need, besides a bike tire and creature spray? I'd love to see photo's of the casita - inside and out. And, can't wait to see your CR Cocktail recipe book someday. I'm off to buy some bacardi of my own. Love ya, Ilene

Unknown said...

Love the blogs Heather. Have you named the "creature" yet? Can't beat em might as well join em (or just kill the darn thing)! Are the girls adjusting better now after a couple of weeks?
Patty

hefr said...

Ilene, so glad you to see you on my blog. Mail is not easy to get down here but thanks for the offer. Just send me a smile and I'll be good to go.
Patty, we have decided to keep the creature. I figure it'll be bad karma to kill it. One of our rules is don't kill it if it's not biting you. So, the creature stays. And it's name is just "the creature"

Lynne said...

Love the video of Hannah surfing, she was obviously very excited! Love reading about your daily lives, something new everyday!

Jan said...

LOVED Hannah's scream of excitement as she mastered the wave. How cool! When she grows older, and the other kids are saying "yah, I learned to surf in CA" she can say... "I got better, I learned to surf in CR!!!" Amazing.

Phillip's dad has been going to CR for a few years now, I sent him your blog and pointed out the hotels that you reccomend. Hoping that is fine :)

I want those chairs in the restaurant on the beach. People down there sound incredibly friendly.