Mountain Life in Colorado: One more day

Saturday, June 5, 2010

One more day

It's a beautiful Colorado day this morning and I'm going to wrap up our packing today. We have one more day until we leave. We still have a lot to do but not an overwhelming amount like usual. All of the laundry is finished and we have received our books and Keen shoes I was stressing about. The shoes are awesome and fit great. The girls love them. We are going to need to pack another suitcase. I had most everything packed and I was feeling pretty good about it because I stuffed everything in 2 suitcases and I looked around our room and there hangs all the girls clothes and all of mine. Oops. There is no way I can stuff those clothes into the suitcases. The suitcases I have aren't large though. The one I have is actually small enough to carry on if you don't have the sides stuffed with stuff. The other one is medium size. So, I'm still feeling pretty good about how and what we are taking.
Some friends of ours have a couple of employees and they are living out of their camper. Not unusual for this area. Well, they were camped down road and the Forest Service took their plate number down because technically you can't camp for over 30 days on Forest Service land. So they were bummed because they didn't have anywhere to park the camper. They called us to ask if they could meet us and possibly park up here on our land. They came up the other night. What a nice, caring, mellow, responsible (it seems) young couple. She's from MN and he's from Maine. They have a boxer mix and they were totally into our place. They want to take care of the pets, my garden, our house. It all fit perfectly. We're going to let them use our shower in the garage in return for all of the stuff they'll do here for us. Plus, we are giving them a place to stay for the summer in their camper. We call them the hippie couple. They aren't really hippie-ish but that is what we dubbed them. What luck for us. Teller will be so psyched to have a buddy to play with all summer too. I couldn't be happier. I have been in shredded tears for the past 2 weeks just looking at him. I'm going to miss him so incredibly much. Thank God for the hippie couple. They were great. I hope they love it up here as much as we do.
It won't be the first time we had someone living up here in a vehicle. Many years ago 2 great friends of ours lived in a bus for a few years. Same thing, they couldn't find anywhere to park it. So we said they could park it up here and they stayed for 2 1/2 years. It was all good.
Jack and I had a wonderful dinner at Ski Tip last night. It was our farewell dinner and we never go to dinner. Especially a fancy dinner like the one we had last. Of course, we had 5 star service and the food was to die for. Dinner ended with dessert in the lounge on a comfy couch, which I couldn't even eat. Unheard of for me. I am one to never not finish dessert. It was a perfect night.
Now, time to get cracking. We leave tomorrow and I have to finish packing and then I have to clean up my house. My dad will be coming out to stay for awhile and I need to clean it up for him.

2 comments:

Jan Clare said...

Heather, tell me more about these Keen shoes! What style do you wear? I looked them up and since you are my mountain friend... I am using your expertise to guide me on the best footwear! lol

So so so glad you have someone on your land taking care of your property and animals. That is what I would call a graced moment. I love your life so much. I can't wait to see what your daughters will do when they get older. The life experience you have given them is so friggin' awesome. Such good parents you are. (yoda) :)

I can't wait to see the pics!!!

Love you!! Be safe!!!

p.s. I read the first paragraph to darrel about the packing missed clothes and we both had a great laugh over that! Something we would do!!

hefr said...

Jan, last year we drove to CA for 10 days and I forgot my entire suitcase with all of my own clothes. Of course I remembered everyone else's stuff. I had the clothes on my back and that was it. Never again.