Mountain Life in Colorado: No Reading at Night

Monday, June 28, 2010

No Reading at Night

I can't sleep. I've been out of bed twice now and I simply cannot sleep. It's 9:15 and that has me staying awake I'm sure. But I'm tired. The girls and I played hard in the ocean tonight. We also walked down to the beach instead of riding our bikes because I carried the surfboard and Jordan and Hannah each had a boogie board. It was a nice walk. We got to the beach at high tide and walked down to dead tree. Dead tree, we have learned, is the local name for the place we like to hang out. We were watching a storm out on the ocean and it was pretty cool. Bart walked up and said hello. Other's that we have seen over the course of our stay walked by and kindly said Hola or Pura Vida or something. We are really feeling welcome here and people are starting to recognize our faces and the friendly people we have come across is amazing. The boys from Isreal who live here on the property that our casita is on also came down did a little showing off for the girls. They are 12 and 13 years old and man can they surf. They were all about it when they walked down to where we were sitting. The girls were boogie boarding while the boys were surfing and having a ball. We may have to have a card game up at the casita with them over. They were asking what we do at night and if we liked movies or playing cards and it sounds like they do the same as us. They have been here for 3 years and speak great English as well as Spanish. Cute boys. Liad and Idan (spelling?). I see a friendship forming. Finally. The girls have been trying to get their attention for awhile now.

At home, when I go to bed, I read. I may read a page, a chapter, a half a book. It's how I wind down and always have. I can't read here because the light attracts bugs and flying things. For one, there is no nightstand so I set up a makeshift nightstand with one of the wooden barstools from the counter. At least I have somewhere to keep my book and my glasses and my stuff. For two, there are no lights except for the ones on the ceiling attached to the fan. So you have to either use the headlamp or the reading lights that I brought. I was all ready to read one night with my headlamp on and I'm laying in bed, reading and bugs are slamming up to me and my light and it got ugly, fast. I'm inhaling bugs, and Junebugs are landing on me and huge moths are hovering in the light. I soon realized that reading here is out. Unless I have the overhead light blaring and Jack is trying to sleep. Ain't gonna happen. That is why I can't sleep I'm sure. I can't lull myself by reading. Hannah is also not able to sleep for the exact same reason. She is sitting in the chair right now reading because she wants to read so bad. She's also a bedtime reader. Our experiences with the headlamps were the same and she won't read in bed. Jordan is in her bed reading and I can hear her talking to the bugs saying things like, "stupid bug!" and "get out of here you dumb bug!" and "Oh, I wish these bugs would leave me alone!" I just said, "Jordan, you won't win. Shut off the light!" Now, the only light on is my computer light and you guessed it. Time to shut er down. The computer screen is being attacked.
Nighty night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,

I need another CR Cocktail recipe from you for my vodka nightcap. Hey, maybe that'll help you sleep too!

The creature - Wikipedia says it has courting rituals and I think your creature believes the image in the mirror is its mate. Therefore, I propose the "capture and release" program so that he can finally stop "hookin' up" with his reflection and instead, find true love outside the casita. Guys need that push now and then. I think we'll all sleep better too.

hefr said...

Ilene,
Last night, since Jack did bring a bottle of rum home with his oreos, I made a rum and fresh squeezed lime with splash of beer over ice. It wasn't bad.