Mountain Life in Colorado: The Creature

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Creature

I'm not sure exactly when something qualifies as being called a creature but I'm pretty sure that's what is living behind the mirror in the girls' bathroom. Jordan came out yesterday after we got back from the day at the beach and said she saw the biggest spider in her bathroom. She was literally shuddering. Her comment was, "I'm never using that bathroom again!" I immediately thought there goes my space in my own bathroom. Keep in mind, we all three share a one sink, tiny bath at home. My parental instinct kicked in and I figured I better tell her a fib or we would be fighting for elbow room. I said, "I saw an even bigger spider in my bathroom a few days ago." Like it's some sort of compitetion or something. She, being Jordan, went into the asking questions mode and needed to know all the details. I, being me, elaborated. She put up her pointer finger and said that the leg on that thing was "this long". I have no doubt. She said she never actually saw the spider but just the leg and that was enough. I've already got the heebie jeebies and I'm enjoying my bacardi/mango/papaya drink and she has to pee so bad but she's to afraid to go. In any bathroom. Finally she can't hold it any longer and bolts for her bathroom and I hear her calling my name kind of panicky and I go in and there is Jordan sitting on the toilet and the creature came out from behind the mirror. Jordan is biting her bottom lip and not looking and I can't believe what I'm seeing. It's not the spider I saw on the first day here like I thought this whole time. This guy is different. It's like a cross between a crab, spider, and beetle. It's a flippin' creature. And then it crawled to his home behind the mirror. Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the ugliest creature of them all. Pretty sure you living behind it. Time for bed and I've got my sheet pulled up all the way to my chin. Clearly, this will save me from the creature if it comes to my room to snuggle with me. Never mind the fact that it's stinking hot and I'm sweating like a pig. I've put in ear plugs (that's another blog) and I'm good to go. It's 7:30. Kind late for me to go to bed. I wake up from a pretty deep sleep thinking about the creature because I have that sheet still pulled up tight to my chin, still sweating like a pig. I decide to take out my earplugs because I'm not used to sleeping with them. I also figure that if the creature decides to make his way to my room I'll hear him if I don't have the earplugs in. I cannot sleep. I toss and turn all night. At around 4:42, but whose keeping track, the monkey starts groaning. It was right outside our window and he was so loud. I finally got my camera so I could record him. I hope it comes out so you can hear it.
Last night it rained harder then I have ever seen it rain. It rains hard in MN too and even growing up there, I've never seen rain like that. Jack went surfing and Hannah and I wanted to ride around and explore. We rode for a little ways and it started sprinkling so we thought we had better get back rather then get caught in the rain. Glad we turned around. We got back to the casita and it started coming down. It filled up a whole bucket in just under and hour. I started to get worried about Jack. It's getting dark and it's now lightning and thundering and pouring so hard. He's on his bike, carrying a surfboard and I'm sure road is muddy as heck. I'm thinking back to his conversation with the young bucks. The young bucks are our neighbors who arrived 2 days ago from the East Coast. One is 17 and the other is 21. They were all talking about their surf session earlier at the river mouth and this was the conversation, "OH MAN. I THOUGHT TOTALLY YOU WERE DUST WHEN YOU WENT OVER THOSE ROCKS! DUDE, FORSURE! I SAW YOU CATCH THAT WAVE AND IT TOSSED YOU LIKE A NOODLE AND I THOUGHT FORSURE YOU HAD YOUR LUNCH!" Now, it's dark and Jack is still not back and I keep thinking he got his lunch and died from head trauma and when the heck do I go looking for him? How long do I give him? I make dinner for us and pour another cocktail and here he comes. Muddy and sopping wet and smiling. Damn him. When will I learn I never, ever need to worry about Jack. He loves this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that sound wasn't Jack, or maybe the new creature you are living with? I would LOVE to see a pic of that! Keep on blogging- they are great! It is the first thing I do every morning is look for your new blog!
Deb

Anonymous said...

The Monkey almost sounds like its purring... Take a picture of the creature!

Lynne said...

The monkey sounds like a very scary creature lurking in the night...taunting anyone to come out.