Mountain Life in Colorado: Graduation Day

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Graduation Day

It's a pretty typical day weather wise for the last day of school in the high country. Cloudy, cool, a little wind. I can't remember the last time we had a sunny, warm, last day of school. I'm all ready to go to Hannah's 5th grade graduation which starts at 1:30. I'm looking at all of the stuff around my living room right now that I need to pack, put away or throw away or clean. I can't be bothered. So, I'll blog instead.
I've packed up all of our home school books, science stuff, computer, copier, etc. It's all of the items that COVA provided for us for the school year and I need to get it back to them before we leave. That wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. I kept every box and all of the shipping stuff in the shed all nice and neat and I'm glad I did. Jack hauled it all up to the house for me and wah-lah! Ready to be shipped. What a nice feeling that is to get rid of all of that stuff. One more thing I don't have to look at.
I ordered a bunch of books online with a gift certificate my mother in law gave to me for my birthday. They still haven't arrived yet and if they don't get here by Saturday we are S.O.L. with that. I've got my fingers crossed in a big way. Jordan and Hannah's Keen shoes that I ordered through a local store in Frisco have not arrived either. They did guarantee they would be here by Saturday though. If not, plan B is to hit R.E.I. in Denver before we fly out on Sunday. Most of our stuff is packed and I have really put some thought into it. I'm bringing the bare necessities and whatever we forget we go without. I'm only concerned we'll have enough shorts and t-shirts for 2 1/2 months. Things can get super spendy down there. I don't want to spend, spend, nor are we able to. I hate to think that we need things like t-shirts when we could have just put them in the suitcase. It's so hard to know how much stuff we'll need.
I was walking down to the garage with a full load of laundry yesterday morning and I twisted my ankle. It just folded right in half. I was in so much pain and I started crying and I couldn't even stand on it. Jack brought me up to the couch and iced it and later it felt better. So, Jordan and I went to get our pedicures and do some shopping and it flared up and swelled up again. We decided not to go get our pedicure and I came home and iced it more. Today it's huge. It's not black and blue but it is definitely swollen and it hurts like a son of a gun. I'm so mad. The last thing I need right now is this ankle thing and I can barely walk without a serious limp. ARGH!! So, I'm hoping we can go get a pedi later in the week. I really want to do that with her. She was so cute about it though and told me she didn't really care one way or the other. I wonder. She was just invited to an 8th grade grad party by a friend of hers from the middle school. She used to hang out with a group of girls in 6th and 7th grade that she got to be pretty good friends with. They never did anything outside of school but at school she'd sit with them at lunch and stuff like that. She's feeling pretty cool right now getting that phone call. She's going and it'll be her first time to run into class mates who are moving on to 9th grade. I'm curious to hear if she'll talk about repeating 8th grade or not. Some of the girls already know and I hope they are nice about it. She's not having any anxiety about going. We'll see how the next 3 hours before the party starts goes. She seemed really excited about it. I'm dropping her off because we have other stuff to do for Hannah's day. We're going to a party just down the street from where Jordan will be so she can just walk down when she's ready.
Hannah, my chill child, nothing ever phases her, besides being late for something, woke up so stressed this morning. She couldn't get her hair right, she was almost crying over it. She forgot her dress shoes, she forgot her tights, which she insists on wearing with her dress. She was a train wreck. She's never a train wreck. That is Jordan and mines job. I'll be good to get this day over with. So much going on and it's catching up to us. A glass of wine will be nice later on for me. Can't wait to kick back, in my jammies and breath deep.

No comments: